Jan. 31, 2009
CLEMSON, S.C. - Auburn's 26th-ranked women's tennis team handily defeated No. 39 Louisville, 4-0, Saturday at the ITA Kick-Off Weekend at the Clemson Indoor Tennis Center. The Tigers will face the winner of Saturday afternoon's Clemson/Boise State match Sunday at 1 p.m. CT.
"We came out much more focused today and very hungry," head women's tennis coach Tim Gray said. "That made a big difference in the doubles. I was happy with the effort, but we still have work to do."
The Tigers won two of three doubles matches to secure the point. In the No. 1 position, Auburn's Fani Chifchieva and Melissa Koning paired to defeat Natalia Baez and Bianca Gorbea 8-5. Alex Haney and Myrthe Molenveld teamed together for an 8-2 victory over Louisville's Jo-Ann Van Aerde and Lindsey Jones in the No. 2 spot.
Auburn needed to play only three singles matches and won all three in straight sets. Haney registered the Tigers first victory, a 6-2, 6-0 win over Gorbea. Sixth-ranked Chifchieva matched Haney's score, defeating Lauren Imre in the No. 1 spot. No. 41 Koning recorded her first spring victory, a 6-3, 6-0 win over Jones.
"We were hitting on all cylinders in the singles as we took care of business at Nos. 1-3 to clinch and get us off the court quickly," Gray said. "We will need to build on this for tomorrow's opponent."
There are 15 host sites around the country for the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. Teams that go 2-0 on the weekend qualify for the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Madison, Wis., Feb. 13-16.
Singles (order of finish: 2, 1, 3)
1. Fani Chifchieva (AU) def. Lauren Imre (UL), 6-2, 6-0
2. Alex Haney (AU) def. Bianca Gorbea (UL), 6-2, 6-0
3. Melissa Koning (AU) def. Lindsey Jones (UL), 6-0, 6-3
4. Myrthe Molenveld (AU), Jo-Ann Van Aerde (UL), dnf
5. Whitney Chappell (AU), Natalia Baez (UL), dnf
6. Jil Hastenrath (AU), Sarah Miller (UL), dnf
Doubles (order of finish: 2, 3, 1)
1. Fani Chifchieva/Melissa Koning (AU) def. Natalia Baez/Bianca Gorbea (UL), 8-5
2. Alex Haney/Myrthe Molenveld (AU) def. Jo-Ann Van Aerde/Lindsey Jones (UL), 8-2
3. Lauren Imre/Amelia Harris (UL) def. Jil Hastenrath/Whitney Chappell (AU), 8-2