Jan. 30, 2011
ANN ARBOR, Mich. - The No. 59 Auburn women's tennis closed out the ITA Indoor Qualifier weekend with a 7-0 loss to No. 46 North Carolina State Sunday on the campus of the University of Michigan.
"We are a very young team and we showed our youth today," head coach Tim Gray said. "Our collective efforts were good, but we focused too much on the outcome instead of our progressive goals. Hopefully we can learn from this and gain experience to be better and smarter when we compete again."
Doubles competition opened with the Wolfpack earning 8-4 victories at both the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles positions. At No. 3 doubles, NC State's Chloe Smith and Joelle Kissell had a slight 7-6 lead over Auburn's Plamena Kurteva and Taylor Schriemann before play was called.
NC State took a two-set win at No. 3 singles to begin individual competition and followed with another two-set victory at No. 1 singles. Auburn's Paulina Schippers battled 53rd-ranked Sandhya Nagaraj at the No. 2 singles spot, but fell in two sets (6-4, 6-1).
The Wolfpack went on to take the final three singles matches to win 7-0.
The Tigers continue the season on the road as the squad travels to Tallahassee, Fla., for a 3 p.m. match against Florida State, Feb. 11.
Against No. 46 North Carolina State
1. No. 32 Sanaa Bhambri (NC State) def. Caroline Thornton (Auburn); 6-0, 6-3
2. No. 53 Sandhya Nagaraj (NC State) def. Paulina Schippers (Auburn); 6-4, 6-1
3. Lenka Hojckova (NC State) def. Olivia Bennett (Auburn); 6-0, 6-2
4. Tana Illova (NC State) def. Jacqueline Kasler (Auburn); 6-3, 6-1
5. Joelle Kissell (NC State) def. Plamena Kurteva (Auburn); 6-2, 6-2
6. Christy Sipes (NC State) def. Taylor Schriemann (Auburn); 6-4, 6-1
1. No. 7 Bhambri/Nagaraj (NC State) vs. No. 21 Schippers/Kasler (Auburn); 8-4
2. Hojckova/Illova (NC State) def. Thornton/Bennett (Auburn); 8-4
3. Kissell/Smith (NC State) vs. Kurteva/Schreimann (Auburn); 7-6 unf.
Auburn - 0-2; National Ranking No. 59
NC State - 2-1; National Ranking No. 46
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,1,2,6,4,5)