Jan. 29, 2012
AUBURN, Ala. - Auburn women's tennis swept a home doubleheader on Sunday, defeating both Alabama A&M and Southern Miss by identical scores of 7-0. The Tigers made quick work of both opponents, closing out both matches in just over two hours each.
"Today we brought much better effort and intensity," Auburn head coach Lauren Longbotham Meisner said. "We came out focused and did what we needed to do to get two wins. We also know what things we still have to work on and will make sure to concentrate on those things in practice this week. But, it's good to be 3-0 for sure."
In doubles play against Alabama A&M, the Tigers (3-0) dropped just one game en route to taking all three matches.
The duos of Emily Flickinger/Plamena Kurteva and Lauren Levant/Taylor Cohen downed their opponents 8-0 to clinch the doubles point. Jen Pfeifler and Jackie Kasler won their doubles match by a score of 8-1.
The bottom of the Auburn singles lineup had a strong showing to clinch the morning match.
Cohen downed Jasmine Cherry 6-2, 6-0 at No. 4, while Schreimann and Levant both took out their opponents by identical 6-1, 6-1 scores at Nos. 5 and 6, respectively.
With the match decided, Pfeifler cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 win over Morgan Shaw at the top singles line. This was the freshman's first win at the top spot in the Tiger lineup.
Kurteva continued her strong play from Saturday and made quick work of Shannon Warner at No. 2 6-1, 6-4, while Kasler defeated Denise Cherry 6-0, 6-3 at No. 3 to close out the sweep.
The squad came out determined in doubles against Southern Miss as well and claimed wins on all three courts.
Pfeifler and Kasler were off the court first after a quick 8-2 win over USM's Elja van Berlo and Alexus Coats at the No. 1 doubles line.
The point was clinched once Flickinger and Kurteva took out Kate Lanier and Alex Bradley at No. 2, 8-3.
Minutes later Cohen and Schreimann finished off Makenzie Oskin and Frances Askew, 8-2, to wrap up doubles action.
The Tiger lineup cruised again in singles, dropping only 12 combined games at all six positions.
Flickinger picked up her first collegiate dual match singles win at the No. 1 line over van Berlo, 6-0, 6-1. The freshman also finished first in just under 30 minutes.
Pfeifler played at the No. 2 position against USM and wasted little time winning 6-0, 6-2 over Lanier. On the day, the freshman from Florida lost just three games.
Kurteva improved to 3-0 on the young season and 2-0 at the No. 3 line with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Oskin, while Kasler moved her record to 3-0 on the season as well with a smooth 6-1, 6-1 win over Williams at No. 4.
The final matches saw Schreimann, a senior team captain, defeat Alex Bradley 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 5 position and Cohen roll over Askew at No. 6, 6-0, 6-0.
The women's tennis team returns to the court on Sunday, Feb. 12 when it travels to Tallahassee to take on No. 18 Florida State. Fans can follow @AUWomensTennis on Twitter for updates.
Auburn 7, Alabama A&M 0
1. Jen Pfeifler/Jackie Kasler (AU) def. Shannon Warner/Morgan Shaw (A&M) 8-1
2. Emily Flickinger/Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Denise Cherry/Jessica Taylor (A&M) 8-0
3. Lauren Levant/Taylor Cohen (AU) def. Jasmine Cherry/Christa Rogers (A&M) 8-0
1. Jen Pfeifler (AU) def. Morgan Shaw (A&M) 6-1, 6-0
2. Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Shannon Warner (A&M) 6-1, 6-4
3. Jackie Kasler AU) def. Denise Cherry (A&M) 6-0, 6-3
4. Taylor Cohen (AU) def. Jasmine Cherry (A&M) 6-2, 6-0
5. Taylor Schreimann (AU) def. Jessica Taylor (A&M) 6-1, 6-1
6. Lauren Levant (AU) def. Christa Rigers (A&M) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2*,1); Singles (6,5,4*,1,3,2)
Auburn 7, Southern Miss 0
1. Jen Pfeifler/Jackie Kasler (AU) def. Elja van Berlo/Alexus Coats (USM) 8-2
2. Emily Flickinger/Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Kate Lanier/Alex Bradley (USM) 8-3
3. Taylor Schreimann/Taylor Cohen (AU) def. Makenzie Oskin/Frances Askew (USM) 8-2
1. Emily Flickinger (AU) def. Elja van Berlo (USM) 6-0, 6-2
2. Jen Pfeifler (AU) def. Kate Lanier (USM) 6-0, 6-2
3. Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Mackenzie Oskin (USM) 6-2, 6-0
4. Jackie Kasler AU) def. Moorea Williams (USM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Taylor Schreimann (AU) def. Alex Bradley (USM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Taylor Cohen (AU) def. Frances Askew (USM) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2*,3); Singles (1,4,6*,3,2,5)