Jan. 29, 2011
ANN ARBOR, Mich. - The No. 59 Auburn women's tennis team opened the 2011 spring season Saturday at the ITA Indoor Qualifier and fell to host and eighth-ranked Michigan, 7-0. The Tigers face No. 46 North Carolina State Sunday at 9 a.m. to close out the two-day tournament.
"Michigan is a very good team and although we were short-handed today, I felt that we had opportunities to do some good things," head coach Tim Gray said. "We did a good job competing in doubles and had Michigan on the ropes, but they did an excellent job jumping on us in singles. I feel that we had a lot of bright spots and the match was closer than the score indicates."
The day kicked off with the doubles competition and the Wolverines captured the third doubles spot, 8-3. At No. 2 doubles, sophomore Caroline Thornton and freshman Olivia Bennett battled Michigan's Mimi Nguyen and Sam Crister to an 8-8 tie. The Wolverine duo escaped with a 7-3 win in the tie break to take the match, 9-8.
Auburn's 21st-ranked doubles team of Paulina Schippers and Jacqueline Kasler faced Michigan's Whitney Taney and Rika Tatsuno at the top doubles spot. The two teams fought to a 7-7 tie before play was called.
"Paulina (Schippers) and Jackie (Kasler) played very well today in doubles and showed that they can play with anyone in the country," Gray said.
The Wolverines opened singles competition strong, earning two-set victories at the No. 4, 3, 1 and 6 singles spots. Auburn sophomore Plamena Kurteva faced No. Taney at No. 5 singles and the two were locked in a 6-6 tie in the first set before Taney won the tie break, 7-4. Taney took the second set, 6-2, to win the match.
Bennett took on Michigan's Crister at No. 2 singles and the No. 105 Wolverine took the first set, 6-3. Bennett, however, battled back to earn a 6-4 second-set victory to bring the match into a third-set tie break. Crister went on to secure the set point and win the match.
Against No. 8 Michigan
1. No. 11 Denise Muresan (Michigan) def. Paulina Schippers (Auburn); 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 105 Sam Crister (Michigan) def. Olivia Bennett (Auburn); 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Brooke Bolender (Michigan) def. Jacqueline Kasler (Auburn); 6-1, 6-0
4. Mimi Nguyen (Michigan) def. Maria Arechavaleta (Auburn); 6-3, 6-0
5. No. 61 Whitney Taney (Michigan) def. Plamena Kurteva (Auburn); 7-6 (4), 6-2
6. Rika Tatsuno (Michigan) def. Taylor Schriemann (Auburn); 6-1, 6-2
1. Taney/Tatsuno (Michigan) vs. No. 21 Schippers/Kasler (Auburn); 7-7 unf.
2. Nguyen/Critser (Michigan) def. Thornton/Bennett (Auburn); 9-8 (3)
3. Muresan/Bolender (Michigan) def. Kurteva/Schreimann (Auburn); 8-3
Auburn - 0-1; National Ranking No. 59
Michigan - 2-0; National Ranking No. 8
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,3,1,6,5,2)