Emily Carosone posted the third-best single-season batting average, hitting .389, in Auburn history.
May 20, 2013
Auburn, Ala. - - Four Tigers earned postseason honors from the Southeastern Conference. Sophomore Branndi Melero was named to the All-SEC Second Team after hitting .301 with 14 RBI in league play. Morgan Estell was selected to the SEC All-Defensive Team at first base. Estell did not commit an error at first and notched six assists. Emily Carosone and Tiffany Howard were each voted to the SEC All-Freshman Team, tying the Auburn record for most representatives on that squad. Carosone hit a team-best .386 in league play, while Howard hit .310 against SEC foes.
- Auburn missed the SEC Tournament and NCAA Regional for the first time since 2007 after posting a 30-23 overall record and a 7-17 SEC record. Auburn was ranked 66th in the final regular-season RPI ranking on May 6. Auburn's streak of five straight SEC Tournament appearances (2008-2012) was the second-longest streak in program history, while the streak of five straight NCAA Regional appearances (2008-12) was the longest.
- With 123 career games under her belt, Morgan Estell is firmly entrenched in several Auburn career records. Estell will go into the 2014 season with the highest career batting average of any Tiger at .369 and the highest on-base percentage at .485. Estell has scored 115 runs which is fourth-best in Auburn history and her .568 slugging percentage is third best. Estell has 31 career doubles and needs just four to move into the top 10. Estell has 66 career RBI and is 25 shy of moving into the top 10.
- Auburn's senior class of Caitlin Schultze, Baylee Stephens, Liana Wuchte, Caitlin Jordan and Brooke Lathan completed a doubleheader sweep of Appalachian State in the final home games of their careers. The group combined to hit .333 with seven runs, one home run, seven RBI, three stolen bases and seven walks in the sweep. The senior class helped the Tigers win 22 games at Jane B. Moore Field in 2013, the third highest win total in program history. Seniors Baylee Stephens and Liana Wuchte each received their degrees in May.
- Pitcher Marcy Harper set the Auburn freshman record for wins with 16. Harper eclipsed the previous freshman record of 15 set by Anna Thompson in 2007. Harper's 16 wins were a team-high and tied for the seventh-most in a single-season in Auburn history. Harper led the Tigers in innings pitched (161.0) and starts (23). Harper also posted a team-best 14 complete games which tied for the eighth-most in a single-season in Auburn history.
- Underclassmen accounted for 61 percent (135-of-223) of Auburn's RBI in 2013. Sophmores Branndi Melero (46 RBI), Morgan Estell (23) and McKenzie Kilpatrick (11) combined for 80 RBI. Freshmen Emily Carosone (35), Tiffany Howard (8), Kelsey Bogaards (4), Austyn West (6) and Jade Rhodes (2) combined for 55 RBI.
- Five of Auburn's nine freshmen saw significant playing time, appearing in at least 24 games with 24 at-bats or more. Emily Carosone was the only freshman to start every game while Tiffany Howard had 48 starts and played in 51 games. Kelsey Bogaards played in 37 games, starting 35. Jade Rhodes appeared in 25 games, six starts, and Austyn West played in 24 games with 12 starts. That group combined for a .292 (121-for-414) batting average with 20 doubles, six home runs and 53 RBI.