April 23, 2013
Auburn, Ala. - - The Tigers host Appalachian State for a doubleheader this Saturday beginning at 1 p.m. CT.
- Auburn is 1-0 all-time against Appalachian State, defeating the Mountaineers 6-2 on Feb. 12, 2012. The doubleheader, beginning at 1 p.m., marks the end of the Tigers' home schedule. Auburn's five seniors will be honored in a pregame ceremony. The Tigers conclude the 2013 regular season with a three-game series at Arkansas May 3-5.
- Auburn's senior class of Caitlin Schultze, Liana Wuchte, Baylee Stephens, Caitlin Jordan and Brooke Lathan will play their final home games in Saturday's doubleheader. Schultze, Wuchte and Stephens are all four-year seniors while Jordan and Lathan transferred to Auburn in Fall 2011. The senior class has won 132 games going into the home finale and have made three SEC and NCAA tournament appearances. Wuchte and Stephens will each graduate in May. Wuchte will earn a degree in biosystems engineering while Stephens will graduate with a degree in nursing.
- Auburn goes into the weekend non-conference doubleheader in 11th place in the SEC standings. Auburn is 1.0 game behind 10th-place Texas A&M (6-11) and 1.5 games behind ninth-place Mississippi State (7-11) and 2.5 games behind eighth-place Arkansas (8-10). Although the Tigers need help from other teams, Auburn will go into next weekend with a chance of earning a spot in the 10-team SEC Tournament.
- Auburn and Appalachian State have nine common opponents in 2013 including: Alabama, Samford, Chattanooga, Furman, Florida State, Southern Mississippi, Troy, Tennessee and South Carolina. Appalachian State posted a 9-8 record against those opponents while the Tigers went 6-9. The teams shared wins against Troy, Southern Miss, Samford and Furman. Auburn added wins against Alabama and South Carolina. Appalachian State was able to notch a win over Chattanooga, losing twice however, while the Tigers lost their only game against the Mocs, 6-4.
- With five regular season games left, senior Brooke Lathan has moved into the Auburn career top 10 in slugging and triples and is on the cusp of moving into the top 10 in batting average. Lathan is currently sixth in career slugging with a .522 percentage and is tied for seventh in triples with four. Lathan's career .301 batting average is six points shy of moving into a tie for 10th with Michelle Martin (1998-2001).