AUBURN, Ala. – No. 12 Auburn softball returns to the Loveliest Village on the Plains from their six-day California trip with a 17-2 record after going 4-2 in nonconference play against CSUN and at the Mary Nutter Classic.
The Tigers got things started with an 8-0 shutout victory at CSUN in Northridge, Calif. on Wednesday before making their way to Cathedral City for the Mary Nutter Classic. Auburn split their first doubleheader of the tournament, defeating Notre Dame 6-2 and suffered their first loss of the season in a 3-2 loss to Wisconsin.
Auburn bounced back on Friday against San Jose State defeating the Spartans 4-0 for their 12th shutout of the season. Saturday’s final day saw another doubleheader split with an early 10-7 win over Oregon State and 6-3 loss to Long Beach State.
- Auburn picked up their 14th and 15th consecutive wins of the season to start the season 15-0, tying the 2011 and 2012 teams for the best start in school history.
- With four wins in California, head coach Mickey Dean improved his career win/loss total to 495-174.
- Auburn has 12 shutouts on the season, which is already tied for the 10th most in a single season in school history. The most is 24 set in 2004.
- Victoria Draper season stolen base count: 20
Key Performers - Offense
- Victoria Draper was a perfect 7-for-7 on stolen base attempts over the week to improve her nation-leading tally to 20. She now has 38 for her career, third-most in school history behind Shannon Anderson (73) and Ashley Griffin (42). Her total of 20 is also the third-most in a single season in program history behind Anderson’s 2004 (33) and 2002 (21) totals.
- Draper also batted .450 for the week (9-for-20) with 3 RBI.
- Alyssa Rivera led all Tiger batters on the trip, batting .500 (6-for-12) in four games played.
- Courtney Shea had three doubles and a team-high four RBI on 7-of-20 hitting.
- Jenna Olszewski had a memorable week as she started the first two games of her career and batted .375 in three games played. The freshman had three hits, two of which were home runs.
- Casey McCrackin and Kendall Veach each homered.
Key Performers – Pitching
- Kaylee Carlson had a 0.84 ERA on the trip with a 2-0 record and pitched in two combined shutout performances. She also picked up her first save of the season against Oregon State. Carlson is 8-0 this season with a 0.64 ERA.
- Chardonnay Harris picked up the first win of her career against Oregon State (1-1)
- Makayla Martin (7-1) extended her career-best streak of scoreless innings to 38.0 before allowing her first run vs. Wisconsin.
On Deck for the Tigers
- Auburn will host UNC-Wilmington, Western Carolina and Western Illinois at Jane B. Moore Field for the Wilson/DeMarini Classic Mar. 2-4, in the last weekend of non-conference play before heading to Baton Rouge to start SEC play against LSU Mar. 9-11.