June 19, 2014
Karen Hoppa is entering her 16th season at the helm of the Auburn women's soccer team. She has two championships to her name, the 2002 SEC Regular-Season Championship and the 2011 SEC Tournament Championship.
1. I grew up in Naperville, Illinois.
2. When my parents signed me up for soccer, I thought it was stupid.
3. In high school I played varsity basketball and softball.
4. I really wanted to be a two-sport in athlete in college, but no colleges offered the opportunity.
5. I played soccer at the University of Central Florida.
6. Also, a member of the UCF Hall of Fame.
7. I became a head coach at 23 at UCF, at that time I was the youngest coach to coach a division I program.
8. I was the assistant coach for the U19 National team in the inaugural FIFA Women's U19 World Championships.
9. My favorite place I’ve ever been was Paris, I was only there for a day so I would love to go back.
10. One place I would love to go…Australia.
11. I married my first love. We dated for two years broke up for 10 then ended up married.
12. I have a three year old daughter whom we adopted.
13. I’m such a bad singer, I’ve been banned by my friends.
14. Mexican food is my favorite food.
15. Favorite TV show is Bones.
16. “Finding Nemo” is my favorite children’s movie.
17. I love Jimmy Buffett.
18. The first cell phone I ever had was a bag phone.
19. My most embarrassing moment was at an Auburn equestrian meet. I was supposed to jump a small jump at the beginning of the competition. I ended up falling off in front of a lot people.
20. Michael Jordan was my favorite athlete growing up.
21. Had to switch my allegiance from the Bears to the Packers when I got married.
22. My biggest pet peeve is people who don’t use turn signals.
23. I’m the fourth most-tenured coach at Auburn.
24. My favorite Auburn tradition is the eagle flight. I was there the only time the eagle ever flew at a basketball game back in the coliseum.
25. It’s simple why I love Auburn. The people, the family atmosphere. It’s special, and it’s the people who create the family atmosphere.