By Ethan Brady
AUBURN, Ala. - Auburn gymnastics' team scoring average keeps climbing and so does its ranking. The 196.065 average in team score is high enough for No. 9 in the nation, increasing its ranking from No. 11.
"I think this team is finally hitting its stride and it's nice to see our ranking reflects what I believe to be the quality of this team," head coach Jeff Graba said. "We just need to continue with our approach and we'll continue to look good in the rankings."
The No. 9 ranking is the highest for the Tigers under Graba and the highest since the 2010 season.
The SEC currently has five of the top-10 teams in the nation. Oklahoma leads in the No. 1 spot followed by LSU, Utah, Florida, Michigan, Alabama, Nebraska, Georgia, Auburn and Oregon State to finish the top-10.
"The SEC is far and away the best gymnastics conference in the country and it brings challenges every week," Graba said. "I'm thrilled that we have five teams in the top-10 and it just shows how hard it is to compete every week, but also how exciting it is to be a part of this conference."
Friday's meet against No. 2 LSU will be the first top-10 matchup of any sport in Auburn Arena. The meet begins at 7 p.m. and will be broadcast live on the SEC Network.
"It's exciting that we get to be a part of the first ever top 10 matchup in Auburn Arena," Graba said. "We obviously have our work cut out for us with the #2 team in the country but our fans will help us immensely. I hope we get a huge and raucous crowd Friday night, we need all the help we can get from our fans."
Promotions for the LSU meet include:
- Flip for the Cure - all fans are encouraged to wear pink to support the fight against Breast Cancer
- Light Up Wand Giveaway - first 1,500 fans, courtesy of Chicken Salad Chick
- Student Section Pink T-Shirt Giveaway - first 500 students
- Fans that present their Auburn Baseball vs. Binghamton ticket stub will receive free admission.
- Single meet ticket prices are $3 for groups of 15 or more, $5 and $8 general admission, and Auburn University students are free.
- Single meet ticket prices are $3 for groups of 15 or more, $5 and $8 general admission, and Auburn University students are free.Go to AubTix.com for ticket information.
For the latest updates on Auburn Gymnastics, follow the Tigers on Twitter, @Auburn_Gym or like https://www.facebook.com/AUGymnastics