Between classes, practice, team meetings, and finding time to study, the lifestyle of a student-athlete creates challenges in meeting the nutritional demands their body requires. At Auburn University, we believe nutrition has a direct effect in helping our athletes achieve their true potential.
For sound nutrition information and guidance, AU Sports Medicine offers nutrition education and counseling by a Sports Dietitian. Scott Sehnert, MS, RD, CSSD, CSCS coordinates our sports nutrition services and works in conjunction with the AU athletic trainers, strength & conditioning coaches, and team coaching staffs, as well as other student services.
Scott is a registered dietician and exercise physiologist who works with all of Auburn's 21 sports teams to help maximize the training and recovery through planned nutritional efforts. Scott's nutritional emphasis on performance and health includes:
- Plan and design the new Wellness Kitchen Training Table (set to open Fall 2013) which will focus on freshly prepared food, lean proteins and will cater to many dietary restrictions.
- Create team talks and educational seminars, including grocery store tours and cooking demonstrations.
- Provide individual counseling to help focus on specific diets and body composition change for health and performance.
- Measure and track body composition, focusing on the changes throughout the preseason, in-season and postseason.
- Work within NCAA rules to provide permissible supplements.