Feb. 3, 2013
BIRMINGHAM - Auburn's 21st-ranked men's tennis team got back on the winning track Sunday, earning a 6-1 win on the road over UAB at George Ward Park in Birmingham.
The Tigers (5-1) bounced back after falling in a tough match at Mississippi State last Sunday, while UAB (2-3) lost to a Southeastern Conference team for the second straight match after falling at Arkansas on Wednesday.
Auburn earned the doubles point for the sixth time in six matches this season, but not without a fight. The team of senior Lucas Lopasso and junior Dennis Lengsfeld fell for the first time all season, dropping an 8-4 decision to UAB's Lucas Dirube and Chris Helliar at the No. 2 spot. But the nation's second-ranked team of junior Daniel Cochrane and senior Andreas Mies came through with an 8-4 win over Tom Puetz and David Zimmerman, and the Tigers took a 1-0 lead when Lukas Ollert and Joseph Van Dooren downed Luiz Felipe Pinto and Rafael Rondino on court 3, 8-6.
Van Dooren snapped a three-match singles skid to give Auburn a 2-0 lead with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Dirube at the No. 5 spot, and 74th-ranked Mies pushed the Tiger advantage to 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Zimmerman at No. 1 singles. And a win from senior Michael Wardell clinched the victory for Auburn as he downed Pinto at the No. 6 spot, 6-2, 6-3.
Ollert had a tough fight with Puetz at the third singles position but remained unbeaten for the spring with a 1-6, 7-6 (6), 1-0 (10-8) win to make it 5-0 Auburn. Cochrane made it 6-0 with a 7-5, 6-4 win over former teammate Rondino at the No. 2 singles spot. UAB's Helliar prevented the shutout with a three-set win over Lopasso, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, handing Lopasso his first loss of the spring.
Auburn will hit the road again next weekend for a pair of matches on the West Coast. The Tigers travel to Fresno, Calif., to face San Diego State next Saturday and Fresno State on Sunday.
For the latest on Auburn men's tennis, visit AuburnTigers.com, follow @MensTennisAU on Twitter and visit our Facebook page at facebook.com/AUMensTennis.
Auburn Men's Tennis Results
February 3, 2013
George Ward Park - Birmingham, Ala.
No. 21 Auburn 6, UAB 1
1. #74 Andreas Mies (AU) def. David Zimmerman (UAB), 6-2, 6-4
2. Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Rafael Rondino (UAB), 7-5, 6-4
3. Lukas Ollert (AU) def. Tom Puetz (UAB), 1-6, 7-6 (6), 1-0 (8)
4. Chris Helliar (UAB) def. Lucas Lopasso (AU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) def. Lucas Dirube (UAB), 6-3, 6-3
6. Michael Wardell (AU) def. Luiz Felipe Pinto (UAB), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 6, 3, 2, 4
1. #2 Daniel Cochrane/Andreas Mies (AU) def. Tom Puetz/David Zimmerman (UAB), 8-4
2. Lucas Dirube/Chris Helliar (UAB) def. Dennis Lengsfeld/Lucas Lopasso (AU), 8-4
3. Lukas Ollert/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) def. Luiz Felipe Pinto/Rafael Rondino (UAB), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
Records: Auburn 5-1, UAB 2-3