April 20, 2012
@MensTennisAU on Twitter | Auburn Men's Tennis on Facebook
STARKVILLE, Miss. - Auburn's 17th-ranked men's tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision at the hands of No. 4 Georgia on Friday morning in the quarterfinal round of the 2012 SEC Men's Tennis Tournament at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre.
The Tigers (17-9) dropped their second match of the season to the Bulldogs (21-2) and were eliminated from the SEC Tournament. Auburn will now await an expected bid to the NCAA Tournament; those will be announced May 1.
Georgia took the doubles point with wins at the second and third positions. The UGA team of Wil Spencer and KU Singh defeated Auburn's Daniel Cochrane and Lukas Ollert, 8-3, at No. 3 doubles, and the Tigers' Dennis Lengsfeld and Lucas Lopasso dropped an 8-5 decision to Ignacio Taboada and Nathan Pasha on court two to clinch the point for the Bulldogs.
Auburn's 14th-ranked duo of Alex Stamchev and Andreas Mies were leading Hernus Pieters and Sadio Doumbia 6-3 at the No. 1 spot when doubles play was halted.
In singles, the Bulldogs increased their lead to 2-0 when 63rd-ranked Pieters downed Ollert at the No. 6 singles position, 6-0, 6-1. Lengsfeld then took 44th-ranked Taboada to a second-set tiebreaker at No. 4 singles before falling, 6-4, 7-6 (0).
The Bulldogs would clinch the match at the No. 5 spot, but not without a fight. Pasha, though, would eventually provide the winning point with a 7-6 (5), 6-4 win over Lopasso.
Mies, ranked 18th in the nation, was leading 11th-ranked Spencer 7-6 (3), 4-3 on court one when play was suspended. Likewise, 66th-ranked Stamchev was up a set on No. 24 Singh as the Bulldogs clinched the match. Cochrane was down a set to #29 Doumbia as play was halted.
The NCAA Tournament begins May 11 with first and second rounds to be held at campus sites. The NCAA Championships run May 18-28 in Athens, Ga.
2012 SEC Men's Tennis Tournament - Quarterfinals
April 20, 2012
A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre - Starkville, Miss.
(2) Georgia 4, (7) Auburn 0
1. #11 Wil Spencer (UGA) vs. #18 Andreas Mies (AU), 6-7 (3), 3-4 unfinished
2. #24 KU Singh (UGA) vs. #66 Alex Stamchev (AU), 5-7, 6-5 unfinished
3. #29 Sadio Doumbia (UGA) vs. Daniel Cochrane (AU), 7-5, 4-3 unfinished
4. #44 Ignacio Taboada (UGA) def. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU), 6-4, 7-6 (0)
5. Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Lucas Lopasso (AU), 7-6 (5), 6-4
6. #63 Hernus Pieters (UGA) def. Lukas Ollert (AU), 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 4, 5*
1. #14 Alex Stamchev/Andreas Mies (AU) vs. Hernus Pieters/Sadio Doumbia (UGA), 6-3 unfinished
2. Ignacio Taboada/Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Dennis Lengsfeld/Lucas Lopasso (AU), 8-5
3. Wil Spencer/KU Singh (UGA) def. Daniel Cochrane/Lukas Ollert (AU), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2
Georgia 21-2, National ranking #4
Auburn 17-9, National ranking #17
2012 SEC Tournament