April 15, 2007
Auburn suffered a heartbreaking, 4-3, loss first thing Sunday afternoon, as they made up Saturday's match against the Crimson Tide that was halted due to dangerous weather.
The match was called with only one set left to play, and hopes were high as the Tiger's Alexey Tsyrenov made his way onto court four. Those hopes were dashed quickly when Alabama's Mathiew Thibaudeau defeated Tsyrenov, 7-6, 6-7, 6-2.
"It's a disappointing loss," said Auburn head coach Eric Shore. "I felt like we had the momentum yesterday against them. I felt like we had the momentum after Alexey (Tsyrenov) fought back to tie up his match. We had to stop and come back today. You have to give Alabama credit. They played well and deserved it; however, I don't feel like they're 20 spots better than us in the rankings."
The Tigers returned to the courts an hour later to finish their match against the Florida Gators that was called due to rain on April 1. Florida was up, 2-1, when the match resumed, but singles play resulted in a 3-3 tie, and the teams were forced into doubles play.
On court No.1, Auburn's Alex Schweizer and Robbert Lathouwers were defeated, 8-3, by Jesse Levine and Greg Ouellette. The Tiger fought back, however, as Terence Nugent and Alexey Tsyrenov beat the Crimson Tide's Nestor Briceno and Geoffrey Barton, 8-3, in the No.2 spot.
It all came down to court three, where Pawel Dilaj and Lukas Marsoun fought viciously against Alabama's Billy Mulligan and Jordan Dolberg. Despite cold temperatures and bitter winds, spirits were high as Dilaj and Marsoun managed to hang on long enough to capture the win, 9-8.
"It's hard to come back an hour later after losing to Alabama," said Shore. "Lukas saved two match points to get us into the tiebreak. I thought we played well in the doubles. It came down to one tiebreaker and we were fortunate to win against a good Florida team."
The Tigers conclude their regular season at 13-8 overall and 6-5 in SEC play.
1. #47 Alex Schweizer (AU) def. #86 Billy Mertz (UA) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. #64 Robbert Lathouwers (AU) def. #82 Joseph Jung (UA) 6-3, 6-1
3. Sammy Struyf (UA) def. Lukas Marsoun (AU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Mathiew Thibaudeau (UA) def. Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) 7-6 (11-9), 6-7 (8-10), 6-2
5. Javier Bes (UA) def. Pawel Dilaj (AU) 5-7, 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
6. Saketh Myneni (UA) def. Terence Nugent (AU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
1. Robbert Lathouwers/Alex Schweizer (AU) def. #26 Dan Buikema/Mathiew Thibaudeau (UA) 8-6
2. Joseph Jung/Saketh Myneni (UA) vs. Pawel Dilaj/Terence Nugent (AU) unfinished
3. Lukas Marsoun/Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) def. Billy Mertz/Javier Bes (UA) 9-8 (7-5)
1. #4 Jesse Levine (UF) def. #86 Alex Schweizer (AU) 6-0, 6-3
2. #16 Greg Ouellette (UF) def. #50 Robbert Lathouwers (AU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Nestor Briceno (UF) def. Pawel Dilaj (AU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
4. Lukas Marsoun (AU) def. Billy Mulligan (UF) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) def. Jordan Dolberg (UF) 6-3, 6-0
6. Terence Nugent (AU) def. Shaun Young (UF) 6-4, 6-5
1. Jesse Levine/Greg Ouellette (UF) def. Robbert Lathouwers/Alex Schweizer (AU) 8-3
2. Terence Nugent/Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) def. Nestor Briceno/Geoffrey Barton (UF) 8-3
3. Pawel Dilaj/Lukas Marsoun (AU) def. Billy Mulligan/Jordan Dolberg (UF) 9-8 (7-5)