April 12, 2008
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The No. 27 Auburn men's tennis team was edged out by in-state rival No. 22 Alabama, 4-3, on Saturday in its last regular season match of the season in Tuscaloosa.
Auburn moves into the post-season 10-11 on the season and 4-7 in the SEC. Alabama ended its season 19-8 and 7-4 in the conference. Both teams head to Fayetteville, Ark. this week for the SEC Tournament.
The doubles point proved to be a prediction of the rest of the match as Alabama took the point after winning two of the three doubles matches.
Alabama started it off one court one as No. 15 Daniel Buikema and Mathieu Thibaudeau defeated Alexey Tsyrenov and Terence Nugent, 9-7. Auburn quickly tied it up on court two as Tim Puetz and Pawel Dilaj overcame Saketh Myneni and Felsenthal, 8-6.
A back-and-forth battle to four ensued in singles and started on court five as Auburn's Dilaj tied the match at 1-1 with a win over Buikema, 6-2, 6-4. Alabama took the lead back in No. 3 singles as Struyf took down Nugent, 6-2, 6-4.
No. 66 Puetz kept it close with a win on court two over No. 98 Thibaudeau, 7-6, 6-3.
Auburn then took the lead for the only time in the match as Marsoun beat Bes, 7-5, 7-5. An upset on court one by No. 120 Myneni over No. 37 Tsyrenov, 5-7, 6-2, 6-3, tied the match at three and left both teams looking for the match-deciding fourth point.
Auburn found itself on the losing end of a tight three-set match-up on court six as Michael Jung edged out Krnjetin, 6-3, 6-7, 6-1, to clinch the 4-3 victory.
Auburn, the No. 7 seed in the SEC Tournament, will take on the No. 10 seed Kentucky in the first round of the conference tournament at 10:30 a.m., Thursday. The winner then moves on to take on the second-seeded Ole Miss Rebels at 10:30 a.m., Friday.
Tennis Match Results
Auburn vs Alabama
Apr 12, 2008 at Tuscaloosa, Ala.
#22 Alabama 4, #27 Auburn 3
1. #120 Saketh Myneni (UA) def. #37 Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
2. #66 Tim Puetz (AU) def. #98 Mathieu Thibaudeau (UA) 7-6, 6-3
3. Sammy Struyf (UA) def. Terence Nugent (AU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Lukas Marsoun (AU) def. Javier Bes (UA) 7-5, 7-5
5. Pawel Dilaj (AU) def. Daniel Buikema (UA) 6-2, 6-4
6. Michael Jung (UA) def. Milan Krnjetin (AU) 6-3, 6-7, 6-1
1. #15 Mathieu Thibaudeau/Daniel Buikema (UA) def. Alexey Tsyrenov/Terence Nugent (AU) 9-7
2. Tim Puetz/Pawel Dilaj (AU) def. Saketh Myneni/Andrew Felsenthal (UA) 8-6
3. Javier Bes/Sammy Struyf (UA) def. Milan Krnjetin/Lukas Marsoun (AU) 9-8 (8-6)
Auburn 10-11, 4-7 SEC; National ranking #27
Alabama 19-8, 7-4 SEC; National ranking #22
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,3,2,4,1,6)