April 10, 2011
AUBURN -- The No. 21 Auburn men's tennis team defeated No. 32 Ole Miss for the first time since 1993, 5-2, Sunday afternoon at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. With the win, the Tigers move to 13-8 (5-5 SEC) on the season while the Rebels drop to 11-7 (5-5 SEC).
"It has been so long since we have beaten this team," Auburn head coach Eric Shore said. "It has been 18 years. I told Tim Puetz after he lost the second set tiebreaker, `well, we haven't beat them in 18 years, what is another hour.
"Nobody beats Auburn men's tennis team 24 straight times. I thought the doubles point was great. We didn't get off to a good start, we didn't look very good for awhile, but we got on them early in the singles. They're a great team and you knew they were going to battle back and they did. I am happy for the guys."
In doubles, Auburn's No. 45 Alex Stamchev and Andreas Mies started the match off with an 8-6 victory over Tucker Vorster and Jonas Lutjen. In the No. 1 position, No. 28 Tim Puetz and Daniel Cochrane secured the doubles point for the Tigers by upsetting No. 8 Chris Thiemann and Marcel Thiemann, 8-5.
On court three, the Rebels' Johan Backstrom and Adrian Forberg Skogeng defeated the Tigers' Lucas Lopasso and Rafael Rondino, 8-6.
In singles, Auburn's Andreas Mies cruised past Ole Miss' Adrian Forber Skogeng, 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 5 position. On court two, Ole Miss' No. 108 Tucker Vorster topped Auburn's No. 118 Alex Stamchev, 6-2, 6-3. Auburn took a 3-1 advantage after Tim Hewitt defeated Chris Thiemann, 6-4, 7-5.
Auburn's Rafael Rondino
clinched the win for the Tigers by toppling Johan Backstrom, 7-6 (4), 3-6, 6-2 on court six. Ole Miss gained their second point of the match after Jonas Lutjen beat Daniel Cochrane
, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3. On court one, No. 15 Tim Puetz
gave Auburn its fifth and final point by defeating No. 40 Marcel Thiemann, 6-1, 6-7 (3), 6-2.
Up next for the Tigers will be a matchup against in-state rival Alabama on Saturday, April 16 in the regular-season finale. The match will be held at the Yarbrough Tennis Center and admission is free. Live stats can also be accessed at AuburnTigers.com.
Against Ole Miss
1. #15 Tim Puetz (AU) def. #40 Marcel Thiemann (MISS) 6-1, 6-7 (3-7), 6-2
2. #108 Tucker Vorster (MISS) def. #118 Alex Stamchev (AU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Tim Hewitt (AU) def. Chris Thiemann (MISS) 6-4, 7-5
4. Jonas Lutjen (MISS) def. Daniel Cochrane (AU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Andreas Mies (AU) def. Adrian F. Skogeng (MISS) 6-1, 6-1
6. Rafael Rondino (AU) def. Johan Backstrom (MISS) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-2
1. #28 Tim Puetz/Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. #8 Chris Thiemann/Marcel Thiemann (MISS) 8-5
2. #45 Alex Stamchev/Andreas Mies (AU) def. Tucker Vorster/Jonas Lutjen (MISS) 8-6
3. Johan Backstrom/Adrian F. Skogeng (MISS) def. Lucas Lopasso/Rafael Rondino (AU) 8-6
Ole Miss 11-7 (5-5 SEC); National ranking #32
Auburn University 13-8 (5-5 SEC); National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,2,3,6,4,1)