April 9, 2006
Auburn, Ala. - The No. 55 Auburn Tigers took down the No. 16 LSU Tigers in a stunning upset Sunday afternoon. After losing the doubles point, Auburn came back to win 4-3 in a tight match that came down to the result of the the last court.
"I am very happy that Nick, Robbert and Alex to be able to finally get a win against these guys," said head coach Eric Shore. "However, we can't be satisfied with this, we have to build on it."
Auburn started the match with two disappointing losses in the one and two doubles spot, followed by a win at the three spot.
In the number three doubles spot, Pawel Dilaj and Milan Krnjetin trailed LSU's James Clusky and Paul White through out the entire match when suddenly the duo staged a comeback and defeated them 8-6. However, the doubles point had already been clenched by LSU's Danny Bryan and Colt Gaston in the number two spot just moments before. The pair defeated Nick Lane and Terence Nugent 8-4.
In singles action, junior Lathouwers started Auburn up with a swift upset of No. 21 Skupski, who had been on an eight-match winning streak. Lane followed suit in the two spot with an upset over No. 100 Gaston 7-5, 6-1. Lane extends his winning streak to three and improves his overall record to 16-5.
With AU leading 2-1, LSU tied it up with a win on court six. Auburn's Nugent fell 6-4, 6-1, to Martell Campbell. Auburn then pulled ahead with a win from Krnjetin on court three, but LSU evened it up again on court four where Dilaj fell to Growcott.
With the score tied up and only one match left to be finished, the crowd headed to court five to watch as the winner of the match would be decided in a third set showdown. Freshman Marsoun clenched the match and the upset for the Tigers with a 6-2 third-set victory over Clusky.
The Auburn Tigers hope to carry their enthusiasm into Wednesday's match against Tulsa. The Tigers and the hurricanes will face off at 6 p.m., on April 12.
#55 Auburn 4 vs #16 LSU 3
1. # 9 Skupski/Growcott (LSU) def. Lathouwers/ Marsoun (AU) 8-4
2. #25 Bryan/Gaston (LSU) def. Lane/Nugent (AU) 8-4
3. Dilaj/Krnjetin (AU) def. Clusky/White (LSU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Robbert Lathouwers (AU) def. #21 Ken Skupski (LSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Nick Lane (AU) def. #100 Colt Gaston LSU 7-5, 6-1
3. Milan Krnjetin (AU) def. Danny Bryan (LSU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Mark Growcott (LSU) def. Pawel Dilaj (AU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Lukas Marsoun (AU) def. James Clusky (LSU) 6-4, 6-3, 6-2
6. Martell Campbell (LSU) def. Terence Nugent (AU) 6-4, 6-1v Order of Finish: 1, 2, 6, 4, 3, 5