Senior Nick Lane improved his overall record to 15-5.
April 7, 2006
Auburn, Ala. - The Auburn men's tennis team fell 6-1 to the No. 20 Arkansas Razorbacks on Friday at the Luther Young Tennis Complex.
"Overall we did not step up," said Auburn head coach Eric Shore. "We had too many 6-1 sets. We dug ourselves into a whole in doubles that we couldn't get out of. We did the same in singles. We got behind 3-0 and it was too far to come back."
The Tigers' only victory came from Senior Nick Lane in the two spot. Lane battled No. 93 Rohan Gajjar to a 7-5, 6-3 victory. Lane improves his record to 15-5, 5-4 SEC, the best overall record on the team.
In doubles action Robbert Lathouwers and Lukas Marsoun fought hard at the No 1 singles spot against Gajjar and Matt Roberts, but were unsuccessful in their attempts, falling 8-5. Terence Nugent and Milan Krnjetin, playing their first career match together, were on the tail of duo Austin King and Colin Mascall, but the Hogs pulled ahead in the end, clenching the doubles point with an 8-6 victory.
At the three spot in singles, No. 57 Matt Roberts defeated freshman Krjnetin 6-3, 6-1. Sophomore Dilaj fell to No. 124 Strode in the four spot 6-3, 6-1.
Clenching the win for the Hogs was Mascall defeating Marsoun in the five spot. Though Marsoun won the first set 6-4, he was unable to defeat Mascall, falling 6-4, 6-4, in the second and third sets.
At the one spot, AU's Lathouwers came back from his first set 6-2 loss and won the second 6-3. However it would not be enough, Arkansas' Zguns won the last set 6-1. Finishing up singles and also battling into a third set, Nugent fell to King 4-6, 6-3, 6-2.
The Tigers will hit the courts of the Luther Young Tennis Complex Sunday, April 9, to face the LSU Tigers at 1 p.m. Admission to the match is free and live stats will be available via the Internet at www.auburntigers.com.
#55 Auburn, 1 vs. #20 Arkansas, 6
1. Gajjar/Roberts (ARK) def. Lathouwers/Marsoun (AU) 8-5
2. #44 Strode/Zguns (ARK) vs. Dilaj/Lane (AU) dnf
3. King/Mascall (ARK) def. Nugent/Krnjetin (AU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. #22 Adrians Zguns (ARK) def. Robbert Lathouwers (AU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
2. Nick Lane (AU) def. #93 Rohan Gajjar (ARK) 7-5, 6-3
3. #57 Matt Roberts (ARK) def. Milan Krnjetin (AU) 6-3, 6-1
4. #124 Blake Strode (ARK) def. Pawel Dilaj (AU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Colin Mascall (ARK) def. Lukas Marsoun (AU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Austin King (ARK) def. Terence Nugent (AU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2, 5*, 1, 6