April 6, 2007
Auburn - The No.40 Auburn men's tennis team dropped the Arkansas Razorbacks, 5-2, at the UA Outdoor Tennis Complex in Fayetteville on Friday afternoon. After battling it out for the doubles point, the Tigers took the lead and never looked back.
Friday's victory moves the men's tennis team to 11-7 overall and 4-4 in SEC play.
In doubles play, the Tigers started strong on court No.3 as Pawel Dilaj and Lukas Marsoun dominated Jorge Villanueva and Dmitry Vlaskin, 8-5. Alex Schweizer and Robbert Lathouwers secured the doubles point when they conquered the Razorback's No.49 Blake Strode and Colin Mascall, 9-7, in the No.1 spot. On court No.2, Auburn's Terence Nugent and Alexey Tsyrenov were defeated by Gabriel Mattos and Bradwin Williams, 8-6.
Alexey Tsyrenov started things off in singles play in match No.4 when he beat Andrei Nicoara, 6-3, 6-0. Terence Nugent followed suit on court No.5 with a smashing, 6-1, 6-2, victory against the Razorback's Jorge Villanueva.
The Tiger's No.47 Alex Schweizer was defeated in No.1 spot by No.77 Blake Strode, 6-4, 4-1, after retiring in the second match.
On court No.3, Auburn's Pawel Dilaj captured the win for the Tigers when he knocked down Dmitry Lebedev, 6-2, 6-3. No.64 Robbert Lathouwers added another win to his record as he overpowered the Razorback's Colin Mascall, 6-4, 7-5, in match No.2. The Tiger's Milan Krnjetin fell in the No.6 spot to Gabriel Mattos, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.
Auburn plays their last road match of the regular season on Sunday against the LSU Tigers in Baton Rouge at 1 p.m. CT.
#40 Auburn 5, Arkansas 2
April 6, 2007
Dills Indoor Tennis Center, Fayetteville, Ark.
1. #77 Blake Strode (ARK) def. #47 Alex Schweizer (AU), 6-4, 4-1(ret.)
2. #64 Robbert Lathouwers (AU) def. Colin Mascall (ARK), 6-4, 7-5
3. Pawel Dilaj (AU) def. Dmitry Lebedev (ARK), 6-2, 6-3
4. Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) def. Andrei Nicoara (ARK), 6-3, 6-0
5. Terence Nugent (AU) def. Jorge Villanueva (ARK), 6-1, 6-2
6. Gabriel Mattos (ARK) def. Milan Krnjetin (AU), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 1, 3*, 2, 6
1. Schweizer/Lathouwers (AU) def. #49 Strode/Mascall (ARK), 9-7
2. Mattos/Williams (ARK) def. Nugent/Tsyrenov (AU), 8-6
3. Dilaj/Marsoun (AU) def. Villanueva/Vlaskin (ARK), 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2