April 1, 2011
Baton Rouge, La. - The No. 18 Auburn men's tennis team was upset by No. 34 LSU, 5-2, on Friday night at W.T. "Dub" Robinson Stadium in Baton Rouge, La. With the loss, the Tigers dropped to 11-7 (3-4 SEC) on the year.
"LSU outplayed us," Auburn head coach Eric Shore said. "They played with more urgency and it showed. I thought that we didn't play with urgency today. It was a good job by LSU today, they were the better team."
In doubles, Auburn won the first match on court two, as No. 45 Alex Stamchev and Andreas Mies defeated Roger Anderson and Stefan Szacinski, 8-4. LSU took the match in the No. 3 spot as Julien Gauthier and Olivier Borsos toppled Rafael Rondino and Lucas Lopasso, 8-6. LSU clinched the doubles point when No. 10 Sebastion Carlsson and Neal Skupski defeated Tim Puetz and Daniel Cochrane, 8-5.
Auburn fell in the first two singles matches as LSU gained a 3-0 lead. On court three, Auburn's Tim Hewitt fell to Stefan Szacinsk, 6-2, 6-2, and in the No. 6 position, LSU's Julien Gauthier topped Rafael Rondino, 7-5, 6-2.
Auburn's Tim Puetz earned a two-set victory on court one over Oliver Borsos, 6-4, 6-2, for Auburn's first point. Andreas Mies earned Auburn's second point of the match by defeating LSU's Mark Bowtell, 7-6, 6-2, in No. 5 singles.
LSU's No. 82 Neal Skupski clinched the match for LSU by toppling No. 118 Alex Stamchev, 7-6, 6-2, in the No. 2 position. LSU won the fifth and final point of the match after No. 124 Sebastian Carlsson defeated Daniel Cochrane, 6-4, 6-4, on court four.
Up next for the Tigers will be a matchup with Arkansas on Sunday in Fayetteville, Ark., before returning home on Friday, April 8, to square off with Mississippi State at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
1. #15 Tim Puetz (AU) def. Olivier Borsos (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. #82 Neal Skupski (LSU) def. #118 Alex Stamchev (AU) 7-6, 6-2
3. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) def. Tim Hewitt (AU) 6-2, 6-2
4. #124 Sebastian Carlsson (LSU) def. Daniel Cochrane (AU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Andreas Mies (AU) def. Mark Bowtell (LSU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-2
6. Julien Gauthier (LSU) def. Rafael Rodino (AU) 7-5, 6-2
1. #10 Sebastian Carlsson/Neal Skupski (LSU) def. Tim Puetz/Daniel Cochrane (AU) 8-5
2. #45 Alex Stamchev/Andreas Mies (AU) def. Roger Anderson/Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 8-4
3. Julien Gauthier/Olivier Borsos (LSU) def. Rafael Rondino/Lucas Lopasso (AU) 8-6
Auburn 11-7 (3-4 SEC); National ranking #18
LSU 8-10 (3-4 SEC); National ranking #34
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,6,1,5,2,4)