March 30, 2012
@MensTennisAU on Twitter | Auburn Men's Tennis on Facebook
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Auburn's 15th-ranked men's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision at the hands of No. 11 Florida on Friday evening at the Ring Tennis Complex on the Florida campus.
Auburn (14-6, 3-4 SEC) saw its road woes continue as the Tigers fell to 0-4 away from home in Southeastern Conference play. Meanwhile, the Gators (11-7, 4-3 SEC) earned their third straight win over the Tigers.
The Tigers dropped the doubles point for just the second time in the last six matches. The Florida team of Bob van Overbeek and Spencer Newman gave the Gators an early advantage with an 8-4 win over Dennis Lengsfeld and Lucas Lopasso at the No. 2 spot, but Auburn fought back at No. 3 as Dan Cochrane and Lukas Ollert outlasted Tripper Carleton and Andrew Butz, 8-6.
But Auburn's No. 16-ranked duo of Andreas Mies and Alex Stamchev lost for the first time during the dual match season, dropping a 9-7 heartbreaker to the No. 10 pair of Billy Federhofer and Nassim Slilam to give the Gators an early 1-0 lead.
From there, it would be all Florida. No. 50-ranked Spencer Newman downed Ollert at No. 4 singles, 6-0, 6-2, to put the Gators ahead 2-0. It would be 3-0 Florida after 71st-ranked Slilam handed No. 77 Stamchev a loss at the No. 2 singles spot, 6-1, 6-3. Just four minutes later, the Gators clinched the victory as 49th-ranked Carleton defeated Cochrane, 6-4, 6-4, on court three.
On court one, 41st-ranked van Overbeek downed 27th-ranked Mies , 7-5, 6-4, to give the Gators a 5-0 advantage. The last two matches were battles that came down to the wire. Lopasso put up a tough fight against Michael Alford at the No. 5 spot before falling 7-6 (12-10), 6-2. And Michael Wardell took Andrew Butz to three sets before falling 2-6, 6-1, 7-5.
Auburn will conclude its weekend road trip Sunday with a noon match at 40th-ranked South Carolina. Live scoring will be available through GamecocksOnline.com.
Auburn Men's Tennis Results
March 30, 2012
Ring Tennis Center - Gainesville, Fla.
#11 Florida 7, #15 Auburn 0
1. #41 Bob van Overbeek (UF) def. #27 Andreas Mies (AU), 7-5, 6-4
2. #71 Nassim Slilam (UF) def. #77 Alex Stamchev (AU), 6-1, 6-3
3. #49 Tripper Carleton (UF) def. Daniel Cochrane (AU), 6-4, 6-4
4. #50 Spencer Newman (UF) def. Lukas Ollert (AU), 6-0, 6-2
5. Michael Alford (UF) def. Lucas Lopasso (AU), 7-6 (12-10), 6-2
6. Andrew Butz (UF) def. Michael Wardell (AU), 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
Order of finish: 4, 2, 3*, 1, 5, 6
1. #10 Billy Federhofer/Nassim Slilam (UF) def. #16 Andreas Mies/Alex Stamchev (AU), 9-7
2. Bob van Overbeek/Spencer Newman (UF) def. Dennis Lengsfeld/Lucas Lopasso (AU), 8-4
3. Daniel Cochrane/Lukas Ollert (AU) def. Tripper Carleton/Andrew Butz (UF), 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1*
Florida 11-7 (4-3 SEC); National ranking #11
Auburn 14-6 (3-4 SEC); National ranking #15