March 26, 2010
AUBURN, Ala. - Competing at home for the first time in two weeks, the No. 65 Auburn men's tennis team defeated South Florida, 4-1, Friday at the City of Auburn/Auburn University Yarbrough Tennis Center.
With the win, the Tigers improve to 5-9 on the season, while South Florida is 6-9 on the year.
"This team did a good job at bouncing back to win the match," head coach Eric Shore said. "We're glad to get the win and hope that this momentum carries over to Sunday."
The eighth-ranked doubles team of junior Tim Puetz and Alex Stamchev opened the day with an 8-3 victory over Jamal Adderley and Thomas Estrada. Auburn, however, was unable to secure the doubles point as South Florida picked up wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles.
Down a point, the Tigers regrouped going into singles competition. The team got its first point after freshman Lucas Lopasso picked up a quick two-set win over Mark Olijaca, 6-0, 6-2. The win marked Lopasso's sixth victory of the season.
From that point on, the Tigers rolled through singles competition. Freshman Andreas Mies came away with a two-set (6-1, 6-4) victory over Juan Carlos Gerard at No. 5 singles to put Auburn up 2-1 in the team competition.
Freshman Tim Hewitt picked up his ninth singles win of the season, defeating Adderley at No. 2 singles in two-sets (6-2, 6-2). Team captain Puetz secured the Auburn victory when the 23rd-ranked singles player tallied a two-set (6-3, 6-1) win over No. 104 Wael Kilani at No. 1 singles.
Also competing in singles were Stamchev and freshman Oliver Strecker
. Stamchev, the 93rd-ranked player in the country, took a quick one-set lead over Romain Deridder after taking the first set by a score of 6-0. The second set was tied at five apiece before play was called.
Strecker faced Yannick Yoshizawa at No. 6 singles and took a tough 7-6 victory in the first set. Yoshizawa was up 2-0 in the second set when play was stopped.
Auburn continues its homestand Sunday as the No. 23 Vanderbilt Commodores come to the City of Auburn/Auburn University Yarbrough Tennis Center for a 1 p.m. match.
Against South Florida
1. No. 23 Tim Puetz (Auburn) def. No. 104 Wael Kilani (South Florida); 6-3, 6-1
2. Tim Hewitt (Auburn) def. Jamal Adderley (South Florida); 6-2, 6-2
3. No. 93 Alex Stamchev (Auburn) vs. Romain Deridder (South Florida); 6-0, 5-5 DNF
4. Lucas Lopasso (Auburn) def. Mark Oljaca (South Florida); 6-0, 6-2
5. Andreas Mies (Auburn) def. Juan Carlos Gerard (South Florida); 6-1, 6-4
6. Oliver Strecker (Auburn) vs. Yannick Yoshizawa (South Florida); 7-6, 0-2
1. No. 8 Puetz/Stamchev (Auburn) def. Adderley/Estrada (South Florida); 8-3
2. Kilani/Yoshizawa (South Florida) def. Mies/Monteiro (Auburn); 8-6
3. Gerard/Oljaca (South Florida) def. Hewitt/Lopasso (Auburn); 8-4
South Florida - 6-9; National ranking #72
Auburn - 5-9; National ranking #65
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2, 3); Singles (4, 5, 2, 1)