March 24, 2013
@MensTennisAU on Twitter | Auburn Men's Tennis on Facebook
AUBURN - The 35th-ranked Auburn men's tennis team swept No. 18 Florida 4-0 on Sunday, earning their first home SEC victory of the year at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
Auburn improved to 11-6 on the season, 3-4 in conference play. It was the Tigers' first win over Florida since the 2009 season and snapped a four-match home skid. The Gators fell to 9-7 overall, 3-3 in league play.
"It was a total team effort today," Auburn head coach Eric Shore said. "We put it together. It was nice to get that doubles point, and we carried it over into singles. (Lucas) Lopasso and Dan (Cochrane) both battled back to get into the third set. It was just a really good effort, which is what we need. We said we had to focus and battle for three or four hours, and that's what we did today. It was a good win for us, and now we'll move forward and hopefully build on it."
The Tigers got back on track early by winning the doubles point, improving to 11-2 this season when claiming two doubles matches. The duo of junior Dennis Lengsfeld and senior Lucas Lopasso came out with a commanding 8-3 win over Florida's Gordon Watson and Billy Federhofer on court two. Clinching the doubles point for the Tigers was the tandem of sophomore Lukas Ollert and freshman Joseph Van Dooren at the No. 3 position, earning an 8-6 victory over Mike Alford and Florent Diep.
Despite the match being unfinished, the ITA No. 3 pair of junior Daniel Cochrane and senior Andreas Mies were winning 7-6 at the top spot.
In singles action, Lengsfeld maintained his momentum from doubles with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Alford on court 4. At the No. 3 position, No. 85 Lukas Ollert defeated No. 123 Bob van Overbeek 7-6, 6-4.
And No. 46 Mies clinched the victory with a 6-4, 6-4 win over No. 75 Diep at the top spot.
Cochrane on court two and Lopasso on court five had fought back after dropping first sets to send their matches to a third set, and Van Dooren was up a set on court six when play was halted.
The Tigers will return to action for another Southeastern Conference match as they travel to face No. 13 Vanderbilt at 2 p.m. Friday in Nashville.
#35 Auburn 4, #18 Florida 0
1. #46 Andreas Mies (AU) def. #75 Florent Diep (UF) 6-4, 6-4
2. #86 Daniel Cochrane (AU) vs. Stephane Piro (UF) 2-6, 7-5, 1-1, unfinished
3. #85 Lukas Ollert (AU) def. #123 Bob van Overbeek (UF) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
4. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Mike Alford (UF) 6-2, 6-3
5. Lucas Lopasso (AU) vs. Billy Federhofer (UF) 3-6, 6-4, 2-0, unfinished
6. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) vs. Luke Johnson (UF) 7-6 (7-5), 3-4, unfinished
1. #3 Andreas Mies/Daniel Cochrane (AU) vs. #57 Stephane Piro/Bob van Overbeek (UF) 7-6, unfinished
2. Dennis Lengsfeld/Lucas Lopasso (AU) def. Gordon Watson/Billy Federhofer (UF) 8-3
3. Lukas Ollert/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) def. Mike Alford/Florent Diep (UF) 8-6
Florida 9-7, 3-3; National ranking #18
Auburn 11-6, 3-4; National ranking #35
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,3,1)
T - 3:22