March 11, 2011
AUBURN - The No. 26 Auburn men's tennis team (8-4, 1-2 SEC) earned its first Southeastern Conference victory of the year after defeating South Carolina (6-7, 1-2 SEC), 6-1, at the Yarbrough Tennis Center on Friday.
"The first SEC win is always hard," head coach Eric Shore said. "We went up 3-0 and it took another hour and fifteen minutes to get the fourth point. All the wins in the SEC are tough and they are only going to get harder. "
In doubles, the Tigers swept all three matches to take an early 1-0 lead. On court three, Auburn's Tim Hewitt and Rafael Rondino defeated Johannes Pulsfort and Chris Sheehan, 8-5. In the No. 2 position, No. 46 Alex Stamchev and Andreas Mies toppled South Carolina's Chip Cox and Alexander Kostanov, 9-7. On court one, No. 43 Tim Puetz and Daniel Cochrane held off a strong charge from Ivan Machado and Nick Jones, 9-8 (4).
No. 117 Mies won by retirement to start singles off against South Carolina's Pulsfort, 6-0, 5-0. With the win, Mies now moves to 11-0 on the season.
"Andy is a great player," Shore said. "He's playing solid and he has a lot of confidence. It's a long year and he has to keep it going and keep getting better."
On court three, No. 104 Stamchev gave Auburn a 3-0 lead after he cruised past Jones, 6-3, 6-0.
Clinching the match for Auburn was junior Tim Hewitt. The London, England native topped South Carolina's Kostanov, 7-6 (3), 6-0. The Tigers took a 5-0 lead after No. 23 Puetz defeated Machado in three sets, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (5).
On court four, South Carolina's Cox had a comeback victory over Auburn's Cochrane, 1-6, 7-6, 1-0 (9), giving the Tigers a 5-1 advantage. Finishing up the match on court six was Auburn's Rondino who defeated South Carolina's Harry Menzies, 3-6, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (6).
The Tigers will close out the weekend against No. 15 Florida on Sunday. The match will be held at the Yarbrough Tennis Center and admission is free.
Against South Carolina
1. #23 Tim Puetz (AU) def. Ivan Machado (USC) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Tim Hewitt (AU) def. Alexander Kostanov (USC) 7-6 (7-3), 6-0
3. #104 Alex Stamchev (AU) def. Nick Jones (USC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Chip Cox (USC) def. Daniel Cochrane (AU) 1-6, 7-6 (7-5), 1-0 (11-9)
5. #117 Andreas Mies (AU) def. Johannes Pulsfort (USC) 6-0, 5-0, retired
6. Rafael Rondino (AU) def. Harry Menzies (USC) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-6)
1. #43 Tim Puetz/Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Ivan Machado/Nick Jones (USC) 9-8 (7-4)
2. #46 Alex Stamchev/Andreas Mies (AU) def. Chip Cox/Alexander Kostanov (USC) 9-7
3. Tim Hewitt/Rafael Rondino (AU) def. Johannes Pulsfort/Chris Seehan (USC) 8-5
University of South Carolina 6-7
Auburn University 8-4; National ranking #26
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,3,2,1,4,6)