March 7, 2014
AUBURN, Ala. – The No. 36 Auburn men’s tennis relied on its youth and veterans in a 4-3 win over Arkansas on Friday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. Senior Daniel Cochrane and freshman Oliver Plaskett delivered a pair of three-set wins to top the Razorbacks.
Auburn (12-5, 2-1 SEC) never led throughout the afternoon until Cochrane clinched the match with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 win on court two over Arkansas’ Manfred Jeske. Plaskett tied the match at 3-all with a come-from-behind 4-6, 6-1, 7-5 win on court six.
“I think that we lost the doubles point, but I liked the attitude. We didn’t neccesairly play well in doubles today. Give Arkansas credit, but I thought we came out in singles and certain spots of the order and came ready to play,” Auburn head coach Eric Shore said.
Dennis Lengsfeld made quick work of Arkansas’ Hall Fess on court three, taking a 6-2, 6-2 win to put Auburn on the scoreboard to tie the match 1-1 to start singles play.
The Razorbacks jumped up to a 3-1 lead with Johan de Toom’s 6-4, 6-1 win over Petar Tomic at No. 5 and Jovan Parli’s 6-2, 6-4 victory against Auburn’s Joseph Van Dooren on court four.
The Tigers won the last three singles matches on the court as Lukas Ollert cruised to a 6-4, 6-4 win at the top of the lineup, knocking off Mike Nott.
Auburn battled with the Razorbacks earlier in the match in doubles, but dropped the point. Cochrane and Plaskett provided a win for the Tigers on court one, winning 8-5. Lengsfeld/Ollert fell 8-5 to Arkansas' Fess and Pete Thomason. Tomic and Van Dooren led early, but ultimately were defeated by the Razorbacks’ Jacob Herndon and de Toom.
On Sunday, Auburn wraps up its first home weekend of SEC play with the LSU Tigers. The match is set to begin at 1 p.m. at the Yarbrough Tennis Center and admission is free.
For complete coverage on the Auburn men's tennis team, visit AuburnTigers.com, follow @MensTennisAU on Twitter and `like' the Auburn Men's Tennis page on Facebook.
Auburn Men’s Tennis Results
March 7, 2014
Auburn, Ala. – Yarbrough Tennis Center
1. Lukas Ollert (AU) def. Mike Nott (ARK) 6-4, 6-4
2. Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Manfred Jeske (ARK) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
3. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Hall Fess (ARK) 6-2, 6-2
4. Jovan Parli (ARK) def. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Johan de Toom (ARK) def. Petar Tomic (AU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Oliver Plaskett (AU) def. Christian Lee (ARK) 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
1. Daniel Cochrane/Oliver Plaskett (AU) def. Manfred Jeske/Mike Nott (ARK) 8-5
2. Hall Fess/Pete Thomason (ARK) def. Lukas Ollert/Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) 8-5
3. Jacob Herndon/Johan de Toom (ARK) def. Petar Tomic/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) 8-5
Arkansas 8-9, 0-3 SEC; National ranking #67
Auburn 12-5, 2-1 SEC; National ranking #36
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,5,4,1,6,2)