Feb. 29, 2008
AUBURN - The No. 35-ranked Auburn men's tennis team (5-3, 1-0 SEC) defeated No. 63 Arkansas (7-5, 0-1 SEC) for the second straight year Friday, a feat neither team has been able to pull off since 1999. The Tigers defeated Arkansas 5-2 to start SEC play with a win for the second year in a row.
"We won the match, but we were lucky," head coach Eric Shore said. "Arkansas out-competed us in some spots, especially in doubles, and we have to play better if we expect to get wins in our conference."
Auburn got off to a rough start in singles, playing down in all three matches, but Pawel Dilaj and Milan Krnjetin came from behind to defeat Matthew Hogan and Dmitry Lebedev, 8-4, to give Auburn its first doubles win.
The Razorbacks came back with a win of their own as Blake Strode and Colin Mascall defeated No. 31 Tim Puetz and Lukas Marsoun, 9-7.
The doubles point came down to No. 41 Alexey Tsyrenov and Terence Nugent, who were able to pull out 9-7 win to give Auburn the 1-0 lead.
No. 81 Puetz continued his perfect singles play with a win over Mascall, 6-2, 6-2, on court two. Auburn then took a 3-0 lead as Nugent defeated Christopher Nott on court three, 6-3, 7-5.
Arkansas found its first point in No. 4 singles as Hogan got the win over Marsoun, 6-3, 6-3. Auburn grabbed its fourth point and sealed the win on the center court as No. 59 Tsyrenov defeated No. 95 Strode, 6-2, 6-2.
The Razorbacks answered with a 6-3, 6-3 win by Lebedev over Dilaj on court five, but it was not enough. Auburn's Nick Maurillo took the last point of the match in No. 6 singles over Tyler Tarnasky, 6-3, 6-3.
The Tigers continue SEC play on Sunday as Auburn hosts No. 18 LSU at the City of Auburn / Auburn University Yarbrough Tennis Center at 1 p.m.
#35 Auburn 5, #63 Arkansas 2
1. #59 Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) def. #95 Blake Strode (ARK) 6-2, 6-2
2. #81 Tim Puetz (AU) def. Colin Mascall (ARK) 6-4, 6-2
3. Matthew Hogan (ARK) def. Lukas Marsoun (AU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Terence Nugent (AU) def. Christopher Nott (ARK) 6-3, 7-5
5. Dmitry Lebedev (ARK) def. Pawel Dilaj (AU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Nick Maurillo (AU) def. Tyler Tarnasky (ARK) 6-3, 6-3
1. #41 Alexey Tsyrenov/Terence Nugent (AU) def. Taylor King/Tyler Tarnasky (ARK) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Blake Strode/Colin Mascall (ARK) def. #31 Tim Puetz/Lukas Marsoun (AU) 9-7
3. Pawel Dilaj/Milan Krnjetin (AU) def. Matthew Hogan/Dmitry Lebedev (ARK) 8-4
Arkansas 7-4; National ranking #63
Auburn 4-3; National ranking #35
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,3,1,5,6)
Official: Ken Smith T-3:07 A-61