Feb. 24, 2006
Auburn, Ala. -
The No. 36 Auburn men's tennis team defeated South Florida 6-1, Friday at the Luther Young Tennis Complex.
Clinching the match for the Tigers was freshman Milan Krnjetin defeating Juan Barragan 6-1, 6-2, in the four-spot. This was the Serbia and Montenegro native's first career clinch.
"I am very happy for Milan," said AU head coach Eric Shore. "He stepped it up today and did great in singles. He continues to get better everyday."
Three of Auburn's victories, one in doubles and two in singles, came by default. South Florida had to forfeit those matches because several members of their team, including No. 24 Dirk Britzen, had food poisoning.
"This was a strange situation," said Shore. "Not playing all three doubles makes a match difficult, but I think the guys handled the situation well and played well."
Other singles victories for the Tigers came from senior Nick Lane, sophomore Pawel Dilaj and freshman Lukas Marsoun. Marsoun and partner Robbert Lathouwers, No. 83 in doubles, received Auburn's doubles victory and remain undefeated this season.
Up next the Tigers will travel to Atlanta to take on No. 28 Georgia Tech at 1 p.m., ET. Live stats will be available at www.ramblingwreck.com. Auburn will open conference play at home next Friday, March 3, versus the Wildcats of Kentucky.
Auburn 6 vs. South Florida 1
1. Lathouwers/Marsoun (AU) def. Barragan/Barton (USF) 8-2
2. Brozyna/ Gattiker (USF) def. Krnjetin/Dilaj (AU) 9-8(1)
Order of finish: 1, 2
1. Robbert Lathouwers def. Dirk Britzen (USF) by default
2. Nick Lane (AU) def. Federico Barton (USF) 6-3, 6-5
3. Pawel Dilaj (AU) def. Marc Jager (USF) by default
4. Milan Krnjetin (AU) def. Juan Barragan 6-1, 6-2
5. Lukas Marsoun (AU) def. Dillion Brozyna (USF) 6-2, 6-1
6. Mark Gattiker (USF) def. Terence Nugent (AU) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
Order of finish: 4, 5, 6, 2
South Florida (1-2)