Feb. 22, 2014
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The Auburn men’s tennis team rebounded after a tough loss on Friday night with a 4-1 win over the 11th-ranked Misssissippi State on Saturday at the Blue Gray Classic.
The win by the Tigers (10-3) sets up an Iron Bowl matchup with Alabama on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 p.m. in Auburn’s last match at the three-day tournament.
The Tigers broke a recent string of dropping the doubles point and rallied from a match down to claim the point from the Bulldogs. Mississippi State (9-4) started out with 6-3 victory at the top spot as Auburn’s Daniel Cochrane and Oliver Plaskett fell 6-3 to the Bulldogs’ 55th-ranked pair of Jordan Angus and Malte Stropp.
Auburn’s 60th-ranked tandem of Dennis Lengsfeld and Lukas Ollert took down MSU’s Floridan Lakat and Tassilo Schmid on court two, 6-4. Dante Saleh and Joseph Van Dooren put the point in Auburn’s column with a 6-4 win on court three against the Bulldogs’ Rishab Agarwal and Zach White.
Playing at the top spot in singles, Ollert made quick work of No. 52 Lakat to push Auburn’s lead to 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-1 victory. The Bulldogs made it 2-1 as Lengsfeld fell 6-3, 6-3 on court two, but that was close as the match would get on the scoreboard.
On court three, No. 112 Cochrane battled back after splitting the first two sets to take the third 6-0, 2-6, 6-2. Petar Tomic was the clicher for Auburn on Saturday, defeating MSU’s White 6-4, 6-4 on court four.
When play was halted, Dante Saleh was in down 6-4, 5-5 to the Bulldogs’ Argawal on court five, while Van Dooren was locked into a tight three-setter against Robin Haden 3-6, 6-2, 2-3 on court six.
The match provided the Tigers with a tune-up against the Bulldogs as both teams will meet again on March 2 in Starkville in the opening weekend of SEC play.
For complete coverage on the Auburn men's tennis team, visit AuburnTigers.com, follow @MensTennisAU on Twitter and `like' the Auburn Men's Tennis page on Facebook.
Auburn Men’s Tennis
Blue Gray Classic
Montgomery, Ala. – Lagoon Park Tennis Center
1. No. 55 Jordan Angus/Malte Stropp (MSU) def. Daniel Cochrane/Oliver Plaskett (AU) 6-3
2. No. 60 Dennis Lengsfeld/Lukas Ollert (AU) def. Florian Lakat/Tassilo Schmid (MSU) 6-4
3. Dante Saleh/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) def. Rishab Agarwal/Zach White (MSU) 6-4
1. Ollert (AU) def. No. 52 Lakat (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 49 Stropp (MSU) def. Lengsfeld (AU) 6-3, 6-3
3. No. 112 Cochrane (AU) def. No. 115 Angus (MSU) 6-0, 2-6, 6-2
4. Petar Tomic (AU) def. White (MSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. No. 85 Saleh (AU) vs. Agarwal (MSU) 6-4, 5-5, unfinished
6. Van Dooren (AU) vs. Robin Haden (MSU) 6-3, 2-6, 3-2, unfinished
Order of Finsh: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,3,4)