Feb. 22, 2013
The No. 21 Auburn men's tennis team fell to No. 51 Clemson, 5-2, Friday afternoon at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
"We knew they were a really good team," Auburn head coach Eric Shore said. "They have had a couple of quality wins. We knew what we were up against. I thought they were match tougher than us today. Clearly we were too soft in certain spots. We have to look in the mirror, and we have to get better."
In doubles, the nation's No. 1 duo of Andreas Mies and Daniel Cochrane moved to 16-1 on the year (9-0 in dual play) with an 8-3 victory over Clemson's Yannick Maden and Zach Rigsby. The Tigers won the doubles point after Lucas Lopasso and Dennis Lengsfeld outlasted Austin Ansari and Ayrton Wibowo 9-7 on court two. Clemson's Hunter Harrington and Gerardo Meza defeated Lukas Ollert and Joseph Van Dooren, 8-6, on court three.
In singles, Rigsby defeated Lopasso on court five, 6-2, 6-0, to even the match at 1-1. Auburn regained the lead at 2-1 when Lengsfeld eased past Ayrton Wibowo, 6-2, 6-0 on court four. Clemson would again tie the match after a victory on court three when Meza upset No. 120 Lukas Ollert, 6-4, 6-1.
On court one, No. 83 Yannick Maden defeated No. 106 Andreas Mies, 6-3, 6-2, before Clemson clinched the match on court six as Ansari beat Van Dooren in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3. Clemson also won the final match of the day on court two, as Hunter Harrington edged out Dan Cochrane, 7-5, 3-6, 6-3.
The Tigers return to action on Sunday against No. 66 Georgia Tech at 1 p.m. at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. Admission is free.
Auburn Men's Tennis
Feb. 22, 2013
Auburn, Ala. - Yarbrough Tennis Center
#51 Clemson 5, #21 Auburn 2
1. #83 Yannick Maden (CLEMSON) def. #106 Andreas Mies (AU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Hunter Harrington (CLEMSON) def. Daniel Cochrane (AU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
3. Gerardo Meza (CLEMSON) def. #120 Lukas Ollert (AU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Ayrton Wibowo (CLEMSON) 6-2, 6-0
5. Zachary Rigsby (CLEMSON) def. Lucas Lopasso (AU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Austin Ansari (CLEMSON) def. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
1. #1 Daniel Cochrane/Andreas Mies (AU) def. Yannick Maden/Zachary Rigsby (CLEMSON) 8-3
2. Dennis Lengsfeld/Lucas Lopasso (AU) def. Austin Ansari/Ayrton Wibowo (CLEMSON) 9-7
3. Hunter Harrington/Gerardo Meza (CLEMSON) def. Lukas Ollert/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) 8-6
Clemson 9-1; National ranking #51
Auburn 7-2; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,4,3,1,6,2)