Feb. 21, 2014
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The No. 28 Auburn men's tennis team was just one point away clinching the match against No. 55 Texas Tech, but fell 4-3 on Friday at the Blue Gray Classic in Montgomery, Ala.
Auburn (9-3) battled back after dropping the doubles point to the Red Raiders to begin the match.
Texas Tech took the point as the Red Raiders' Carlos DiLaura and Francisco Zambon opened up on court three with a 6-3 win over Auburn's Joseph Van Dooren and Dante Saleh. The Tigers battled back as No. 60 Dennis Lengsfeld and Lukas Ollert won 6-4 on court two over Felipe Soares and Johann Williams of Texas Tech.
The Red Raiders (5-3) took the point as Auburn's Daniel Cochrane and Oliver Plaskett fell on court one, 6-4 to Hugo Dojas and Maxime Hinnisdaes. The Tigers rallied back and took their lead to 3-1 with three straight-set wins in singles.
Cochrane was the first off the court in singles with a 6-4, 6-0 win in No. 3 singles. Van Dooren quickly disposed of Texas Tech's Jolan Cailleau, 6-3, 6-3 on court six. Lengsfeld pushed Auburn's lead to 3-1 with a 6-4, 6-3 win on court two to move his record to 12-4 as the senior has won eight out of his last 10.
The Tigers could not find the final point to secure the match with three players left. Lukas Ollert fell at the No. 1 spot, falling to the Red Raiders' Soares 6-4, 6-4. Saleh was downed 6-3, 6-5 by Texas Tech's Maxime Hinnesdaels tie the match at 3-3. Petar Tomic battled with Texas Tech's Johann Williams, but fell as Williams won 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 to end the match.
Auburn will have to quickly regroup as the Tigers face a familiar opponent in SEC foe Mississippi State in its next match at the Blue Gray Classic. The Tigers and Bulldogs are set to face off at 4 p.m. on Saturday at the Lagoon Park Tennis Center.
For complete coverage on the Auburn men's tennis team, visit AuburnTigers.com, follow @MensTennisAU on Twitter and `like' the Auburn Men's Tennis page on Facebook.
#55 Texas Tech 4, #28 Auburn 3
Feb. 21, 2014 at Montgomery, Ala. (Lagoon Park Tennis Center)
1. Hugo Dojas / Maxime Hinnisdaes (TT) def. Daniel Cochrane / Oliver Plaskett (AUB), 6-4
2. #60 Lukas Ollert / Dennis Lengsfeld (AUB) def. Felipe Soares / Johann Willems (TT), 6-4
3. Carlos DiLaura / Francisco Zambon (TT) def. Joseph Van Dooren / Dante Saleh (AUB), 6-3
1. Felipe Soares (TT) def. Lukas Ollert (AUB), 6-4, 6-4
2. Dennis Lengsfeld (AUB) def. Hugo Dojas (TT), 6-4, 6-3
3. Daniel Cochrane (AUB) def. Francisco Zambon (TT), 6-4, 6-0
4. Johann Willems (TT) def. Petar Tomic (AUB), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
5. Maxime Hinnisdaels (TT) def. Dante Salah (AUB), 6-3, 6-5
6. Joseph Van Dooren (AUB) def. Jolan Cailleau (TT), 6-3, 6-3
Match Notes: #55 Texas Tech 5-3; #28 Auburn 9-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1), Singles (3,6,2,1,5,4)