Feb. 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala. - The No. 40 Auburn men's tennis team snapped UAB's three-match win streak on Tuesday afternoon with a 6-0 victory. In rainy conditions at the Brook Highland Racquet Club, the Tigers swept through all six singles and picked up the only doubles match played.
The Tigers extended their season win streak to six straight (6-0), which is the best since the 2005 season when Auburn went on a eight-match streak to open play. The Blazers dropped to 4-3 on the year.
Due to rainy conditions the format was changed and singles were played first. Milan Krnjetin got the ball rolling for Auburn at the No. 3 spot, defeating Tim Bauer with a tight 6-4, 7-6 (10) decision. Alex Schweizer followed that up with a 6-3, 6-1, victory over Hanns Spangenberg at No. 1 singles.
The Tigers continued the sweep at the next four spots, as Robbert Lathouwers cruised past Thomas Weiss, 6-3, 6-0, and Alexey Tsyrenov nearly matched that score with a 6-4, 6-0, decision over Kruno Despotovski at No. 4. The final two singles were decided with identical scores, 6-3, 6-2, by Lukas Marsoun at No. 5 over Alex Emery, and Pawel Dilaj over Thomas Petrich at No. 6.
Only one doubles match was played so no doubles point was earned at the match. However, Auburn's No. 2 doubles pair of Schweizer and Terence Nugent dropped Despotovski and Weiss, 8-3.
The Tigers continue play on Feb. 24 at Tulsa. Auburn will meet the Golden Hurricanes at 6 p.m. at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center in Oklahoma.
1. Alex Schweizer (AU) def. Hanns Spangenberg (UAB), 6-3, 6-1
2. Robbert Lathouwers (AU) def. Thomas Weiss (UAB), 6-3, 6-0
3. Milan Krnjetin (AU) def. Tim Bauer (UAB), 6-4, 7-6 (10)
4. Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) def. Kruno Despotovski (UAB), 6-4, 6-0
5. Lukas Marsoun (AU) def. Alex Emery (UAB), 6-3, 6-2
6. Pawel Dilaj (AU) def. Thomas Petrich, 6-3, 6-2
2. Schweizer/Nugent (AU) def. Despotovski/Weiss (UAB), 8-3