Feb. 19, 2006
Tempe, Ariz. - The No. 28 Auburn Tigers lost a tough match 4-3, to the No. 57 Arizona State Sun Devils Sunday at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
Although the Tigers took the doubles point winning two of three sets, they were unable to gain enough points in singles, winning only two of six. The Tigers are now 5-1 on the season.
Senior Robbert Lathouwers and freshman Lukas Marsoun defeated T.J. Bellama and Mike Beatty 8-2, in the No. 1 doubles spot. Sophomore Pawel Dilaj and partner Milan Krnjetin defeated Nick Hegarty and Wesley Miller 9-7, in the No. 2 doubles, earning AU the doubles point.
Although Senior Nick Lane and Lathouwers won at the No. 1 and 2 spots in singles, the Tigers were unable to pull through. Clenching the match for ASU was T.J. Bellama defeating Marsoun 7-5, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (5).
The Tigers return to action at the Luther Young Tennis Complex on Friday, Feb. 19, to play South Florida at 1:30 p.m.. The match originally scheduled for Feb. 26, has been switched with the Georgia Tech match, which will be played in Atlanta on the 26th at 1 p.m., ET.
1. Lathouwers/ Marsoun (AUB) def Bellama/ Beatty (ASU) 8-2
2. Dilaj/ Krnjetin (AUB) def. Hegarty/Miller (ASU) 9-7
3. Kinsella/ Waits (ASU) def. Lane/ Nugent (AUB) 8-5
1. Nick Lane (AUB) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Robbert Lathouwers (AUB) def. Chris Biro (ASU) 2-6, 6-4, 4-6
3. Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. Milan Krnjetin (AUB) 6-4, 6-4
4. Wesley Miller (ASU) def. Pawel Dilaj (AUB) 6-7 (9), 6-4, 6-4
5. T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. Lukas Marsoun (AUB) 7-5, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (5)
6. Ryan Waits (ASU) def. Terence Nugent (AUB) 6-2, 6-1