Feb. 16, 2011
AUBURN, Ala. - The No. 22 Auburn men's tennis defeated the UAB Blazers, 6-1, on Wednesday afternoon at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. With the win, the Tigers move to 5-1 on the year.
"It is sometimes hard to come back after such an emotional match like we had on Saturday," head coach Eric Shore said. "We did a good job in doubles at one and two and took care of things. UAB battled us in singles. It was their first match outside, and the first time we had played outdoors in over a week, so it was good to play."
The Tigers won the first doubles match of the afternoon as senior Tim Puetz and freshman Daniel Cochrane moved to 4-0 as a pair after they defeated Danny Manlow and Daniel Moser, 8-1. On court two, junior Alex Stamchev and sophomore Andreas Mies clinched the doubles point for Auburn after winning 8-3. Lucas Dirube and Chris Helliar earned a victory for UAB over freshman Rafael Rondino and senior Michel Monteiro, 8-4.
No. 106 Mies continued his stellar start to the season as he notched a win over Dan Cornei, 6-2, 6-0, for the first singles win of the match. On court number one, No. 72 Puetz put away Manlow, 6-1, 6-2, to give the Tigers an early 3-0 advantage.
Clinching the win for Auburn was SEC Freshman of the Week Daniel Cochrane. The Alton, England native defeated Daniel Moser, 6-2, 6-3. In the No. 4 spot, Rondino edged out Helliar in a close match, 6-4, 7-6 (6).
Earning the sixth point for Auburn was Stamchev, who defeated David Zimmerman, 6-2, 7-5 on court two. Dirube won the point for UAB as he upset No. 96 Hewitt in a tough, two-set match (7-6 (1), 7-6 (4)).
Next Sunday, the Tigers host No. 15 Georgia Tech at 1 p.m. at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. Auburn heads to Montgomery, Ala. to play in the Blue Gray Classic on Feb. 25th before hitting the road for a pair of SEC matches. Auburn will play Georgia on March 4th and Tennessee on March 6th.
1. #72 Tim Puetz (AU) def. Danny Manlow (UAB); 6-1, 6-2
2. Alex Stamchev (AU) def. David Zimmerman (UAB); 6-2, 7-5
3. Lucas Dirube (UAB) def. #96 Tim Hewitt (AU); 7-6 (1), 7-6 (4)
4. Rafael Rondino (AU) def. Chris Helliar (UAB); 6-4, 7-6 (6)
5. Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Daniel Moser (UAB); 6-0, 6-3
6. #106 Andreas Mies (AU) def. Dan Cornei (UAB); 6-2, 6-0
1. Tim Puetz/Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Danny Manlow/Daniel Moser (UAB); 8-1
2. Alex Stamchev/Andreas Mies (AU) def. Tom Puetz/David Zimmerman (UAB); 8-3
3. Lucas Dirube/Chris Helliar (UAB) def. Michel Monteiro/Rafael Rondino (AU); 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,1,5,4,2,3)