Feb. 11, 2011
AUBURN, Ala. --The No. 28 Auburn Tigers defeated the Golden Eagles of Southern Mississippi, 6-1, Friday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center to move to 3-1 on the season.
"I thought we played well in doubles," head coach Eric Shore said. "Southern Miss really battled back against us in singles. Our four, five, and six singles really played well. They took care of business and helped get the job done."
The Tigers won all three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. In the No. 3 spot, senior Michel Monteiro and freshman Rafael Rondino routed Stewart Gammill and Alex Doleac, 8-0. Tim Puetz and Daniel Cochrane won their second match on the year after they beat Jan Burmeister and Julien Roussel, 8-3. Auburn solidified their third win in doubles competition when Alex Stamchev and Andreas Mies defeated Paulo Alvarado and Jovan Zeljkovic.
Sophomore Lucas Lopasso got the first singles win of the match as he defeated Gamill in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0. Cochrane notched another win under his belt after earning a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Paulo Alvarado in the No. 4 spot.
On court one, Puetz cruised past Roussel for a 6-2, 6-2 victory putting Auburn ahead 4-0. Earning the fifth point for the Tigers was Mies, who came away with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Doleac on court five.
Southern Miss won their first point of the match when Burmeister defeated Rondino in the No. 3 spot, 7-6 (5), 6-4. Auburn's No. 65 Tim Hewitt closed out the match winning the sixth point for the Tigers in a hard-fought battle against Zeljkovic, 7-6 (5), 6-4.
Auburn has a quick break and plays again Saturday with a 1 p.m. match against No.19 North Carolina. Competition will be held at the Yarbrough Tennis Center and admission is free.
Against Southern Miss
1. Tim Puetz (Auburn) def. Julien Roussel (USM); 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 65 Tim Hewitt (Auburn) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (USM); 7-6 (5), 6-4
3. Jan Burmeister (USM) def. Rafael Rondino (Auburn); 7-6 (5), 6-4
4. Daniel Cochrane (Auburn) def. Paulo Alvarado (USM); 6-1, 6-1
5. Andreas Mies (Auburn) def. Alex Doleac (USM); 6-1, 6-3
6. Lucas Lopasso (Auburn) def. Stewart Gammill (USM); 6-0, 6-0
1. Puetz/Cochran (Auburn) def. Burmeister/Roussel (USM); 8-3
2. Stamchev/Mies (Auburn) def. Zeljkovic/Alvarado (USM); 8-2
3. Monteiro/Rondino (Auburn) def. Doleac/Gammill (USM); 8-0
Auburn: 3-1; National Ranking #28
Southern Mississippi: 1-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,4,1,5,3,2)