Feb. 6, 2011
AUBURN, Ala. - The No. 31 Auburn Tigers defeated the No. 62 Troy Trojans in the team's first home dual match of the season at the Yarbrough Tennis Center Sunday. With the win, the Tigers are now 2-1 on the season.
"We came out and controlled the match at the start with our doubles play," head coach Eric Shore said. "Troy battled back in singles competition and we give them credit for putting together a tough match. They competed harder than the Troy team we faced during the first round of the NCAA Championships last May. They didn't lay down and they battled us today."
The Tigers started the day strong in doubles as Tim Puetz and Daniel Cochrane defeated Branko Weber and Mario Rolemberg, 8-0. Auburn continued its dominance in doubles as Alex Stamchev and Andreas Mies secured the doubles point with an 8-3 victory over Sami Ghorbel and Anas Roudchi. Also picking up an 8-3 victory was Tim Hewitt and Lucas Lopasso as they beat Jamie Eccleton and Niklas Jonsson.
Earning Auburn's first point in singles play was sophomore Mies, who defeated Eccleton in two sets (6-1, 6-1) in the No. 6 spot. Junior Stamchev earned a victory over Roudchi in straight sets (6-2, 6-2), giving Auburn a 3-0 lead.
Auburn received a win from No. 65 Hewitt in No. 3 singles after he defeated Ghorbel, 7-6 (4), 6-2. The Tigers went ahead 5-0 after freshman Cochrane beat Rolemberg 6-4, 7-5 in the No. 4 spot.
Puetz notched a win in the No. 1 position in a hard-fought battle over Weber in two sets, 7-5, 6-3. Auburn earned its seventh point of the match after freshman Rafael Rondino defeated Jonsson in three sets (6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-3).
Coming up next for the Tigers are a pair of home matches next weekend, Feb. 11-12. Auburn hosts Southern Miss on Friday at 1 p.m. followed by a match on Saturday against No. 20 North Carolina also at 1 p.m. Both matches will be played at the Yarbrough Tennis Center and admission is free.
1. Tim Puetz (Auburn) def. Branko Weber (Troy); 7-5, 6-3
2. Alex Stamchev (Auburn) def. Anas Rouchdi (Troy); 6-2, 6-2
3. No. 65 Tim Hewitt (Auburn) def. Sami Ghorbel (Troy); 7-6 (4), 6-2
4. Daniel Cochrane (Auburn) def. Mario Rolemberg (Troy); 6-4, 7-5
5. Rafael Rondino (Auburn) def. Niklas Jonsson (Troy); 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-3
6. Andreas Mies (Auburn) def. Jamie Eccleton (Troy); 6-1, 6-1
1. Puetz/Cochrane (Auburn) def. Weber/Rolemberg (Troy); 8-0
2. Stamchev/Mies (Auburn) def. Ghorbel/Rouchdi (Troy); 8-3
3. Hewitt/Lopasso (Auburn) def. Eccleton/Jonsson (Troy); 8-3
Auburn 2-1; National Ranking: No. 31
Troy 0-5; National Ranking: No. 62
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,2,3,4,1,5)