Feb. 4, 2007
Auburn, Ala. -
The Auburn men's tennis team dominated the North Florida Ospreys, 7-0, Sunday afternoon at the Auburn University Tennis Complex. Auburn moved to 2-0 on the year while North Florida dropped to 0-3.
"I thought we did a good job overall today," said Auburn head coach Eric Shore. "We had some bright spots in our single matches. Our seniors in the No.1 and No.2 spots took care of business and got us off to a good start. We have some things to work on before Wednesday. It is going to be a tough match for us against Troy."
The Tigers controlled the momentum from the start of the match, taking the doubles point with wins at the No.1 and No. 3 pairs. Auburn cruised to the victory and earned its second straight sweep this season to improve to 2-0 on the year.
In doubles action, Robbert Lathouwers and Lukas Marsoun defeated Matias Sigal and Yuiti Lopes, 8-6. Alex Schweizer and Alexey Tsyrenov attempted to follow suit, but were beaten by Leonardo Gomes and Javier Ferrin, 8-6. With the doubles point on their shoulders, Stephen Nash and Terence Nugent successfully took on Eduardo Pereira and Elad Gabay, 8-4.
In singles, Schweizer took the No.1 court by storm in his win against North Florida's Matias Sigal. Schweizer won the first set 6-2 and the second 3-0 after North Florida's Sigal retired with injury.
Auburn's No. 4, Pawel Dilaj, delivered the Tigers a solid 3-0 lead after conquering Elad Gabay, 6-2, 6-0. In the No.2 spot, Lathouwers continued to show Auburn's strength by finishing off North Florida's Eduardo Pereira, 6-3, 6-3.
The Tigers continued to please the crowd as the No.5 match came to a close with Auburn's Milan Krnjetin
defeating Yuiti Lopes, 6-2, 6-2. The crowd became even more enthralled when Alexey Tsyrenov
took North Florida's Ben Smith on the No.6 court in a tiebreaker, 6-3, 5-7, 10-7.
If that wasn't enough, Auburn's Marsoun provided another tiebreaker as he defeated Javier Ferrin, 7-5, 7-6, 11-9. Marsoun's victory in the No.3 match ensured Auburn's 7-0 victory against the Ospreys.
The Tigers will be back in action on Feb. 7 as they take on the Trojans of Troy University at 1:30 p.m., at the Auburn University Tennis Complex.
1. Robbert Lathouwers/Lukas Marsoun (AU) def. Matias Sigal/Yuiti Lopes (UNF) 8-6
2. Leonardo Gomes/Javier Ferrin (UNF) def. Alex Schweizer/Alexey Tsyrenov (AU)8-6
3. Stephen Nash/Terence Nugent (AU) def. Eduardo Pereira/Elad Gabay (UNF) 8-4
1. Alex Schweizer (AU) def. Matias Sigal (UNF) 6-2, 3-0
2. Robbert Lathouwers (AU) def. Eduardo Pereira (UNF) 6-3, 6-3
3. Lukas Marsoun (AU) def. Javier Ferrin (UNF) 7-5, 11-9
4. Pawel Dilaj (AU) def. Elad Gabay (UNF) 6-2, 6-0
5. Milan Krnjetin (AU) def. Yuiti Lopes (UNF) 6-2, 6-2
6. Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) def. Ben Smith (UNF) 6-3, 10-7