Jan. 31, 2009
BOISE, Idaho - The Auburn men's tennis team took on Vanderbilt in round one of the 2009 ITA National Team Indoor Qualifier, a part of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend.
The Tigers started the day against the Commodores, while Boise State and Stanford competed in the afternoon.
The Auburn men were flawless in doubles competition, which counted as one point in the dual match. The No. 19 ranked duo of Lukas Marsoun and Alex Stamchev started the day with an 8-1 victory over Adam Baker and Charlie Jones.
Giving the Tigers the overall doubles victory, Alexey Tsyrenov and Tim Puetz, the No. 10 ranked pair, took an 8-3 win against Bryant Salcedo and Nick Cromydas. Finishing doubles action, Milan Krnjetin and Alex Petropoulos won 7-6 (8-6) over Vijay Paul and Jame Moye.
"We came out strong in doubles competition," head coach Eric Shore said. "We got off to an early lead and then won convincingly."
After taking doubles, the Tigers split singles competition with Vanderbilt.
Leading Auburn was Tim Puetz with a commanding 6-0, 6-2 defeat of Nick Cromydas. Next in line for the Tigers was Alex Stamchev as he defefated Adam Baker, 6-4, 6-4.
Giving Auburn the overall win was No. 48 Alexey Tsyrenov, who battled back after dropping the first set and took a 2-6, 7-6 (2), 6-2 win over Bryant Salcedo.
"We had a lot of momentum going into the singles," stated Shore. "Tim (Puetz) gave us an early lead and we held on to win with Stamchev and Tsyrenov."
fell 7-6, 6-3 to Vijay Paul and Alex Petropoulos
lost to Alex DiValerio, 7-5, 4-6, 6-4. In the final match of the day, Milan Krnjetin
lost 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 against Charlie Jones.
The three singles wins along with the doubles victory gave Auburn a 4-3 win over Vanderbilt.
"We've got to take things one match at a time." Shore said. "We need to have some guys step up, but tomorrow should be a good matchup."
The Tigers will finish the ITA National Indoor Qualifier on Sunday against the winner of Boise State and Stanford.
#31 Auburn University 4, #29 Vanderbilt University 3
1. #48 Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) def. Bryant Salcedo (VAND) 2-6, 7-6 (6-2), 6-2
2. Tim Puetz (AU) def. Nick Cromydas (VAND) 6-0, 6-2
3. Vijay Paul (VAND) def. Lukas Marsoun (AU) 7-6, 6-3
4. Alex Stamchev (AU) def. Adam Baker (VAND) 6-4, 6-4
5. Charlie Jones (VAND) def. Milan Krnjetin (AU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Alex DiValerio (VAND) def. Alex Petropoulos (AU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
1. #10 Alexey Tsyrenov/Tim Puetz (AU) def. Bryant Salcedo/Nick Cromydas (VAND) 8-3
2. #19 Lukas Marsoun/Alex Stamchev (AU) def. Adam Baker/Charlie Jones (VAND) 8-1
3. Milan Krnjetin/Alex Petropoulos (AU) def. Vijay Paul/Jame Moye (VAND) 7-6 (8-6)
Vanderbilt University 0-1; National ranking #29
Auburn University 1-0; National ranking #31
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (12,3,6,5)