Jan. 29, 2006
Auburn, Ala. -
The No. 29 Auburn men's tennis team defeated North Florida 6-1 in its home opener held at the Luther Young Tennis Complex Sunday, Jan. 29.
The Tigers took all three double matches and five of six singles matches. Earning the final match point was freshman Pawel Dilaj who defeated Elad Gabay, 6-4, 6-1.
"I was nervous at first, but as the match went on I became more confident," Dilaj said. "The second set was easier because I felt more confident after I did well in the first."
Also winning singles points were No. 94 Alex Schweizer, Nick Lane, Terence Nugent and Robbert Lathouwers. Lathouwers defeated German Escallon in a super tie-breaker, 7-5, 6-3, 1-0(4).
Playing in the No. 1 doubles spot for the Tigers was No. 16 Schweizer and Nugent, who won 8-3. The other pairs were Lathouwers and Marsoun in the two spot, and Dilaj and Milan Krjnetin in the three spot.
"Coming in we knew this was going to be a tough match for us," said AU head coach Eric Shore. "We knew they were going to be better in singles than in doubles, and we fought hard through some tough singles matches. But we did well and the guys came out with a lot of energy. We have a lot to work on, but this is a good start."
The Tigers will be back in action Sunday, February 5, for a double header. AU will take on the Samford Bulldogs at 10 a.m., followed by the Mercer Bears at 2:30 p.m.
1. Schweizer/Nugent (AU) def. Sigal/Terrera (UNF), 8-3
2. Lathouwers/Marsoun (AU) def. Escallon/Gomes (UNF), (8-2)
3. Dilaj/Krjnetin (AU) def. Pereira/Gabay (UNF), 8-6
1. Alex Schweizer (AU) def. Eduardo Pereira 6-2, 6-1
2. Robbert Lathouwers
(AU) def. Matais Sigal (UNF) 7-5, 6-3, 1-0 (4)
3. Nick Lane (AU) def. German Escallon (UNF), 6-3, 6-1
4. Jose Terrera (UNF) def. Milan Krjnetin (AU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Pawel Dilaj (AU) def. Elad Gabay (UNF), 6-4, 6-1
6. Terence Nugent (AU) def. Leonardo Gomes (UNF), 7-5, 6-2
For more information about the Auburn men's tennis team, please contact Megan Murren at (334) 844-9806.