Jan. 19, 2013
@MensTennisAU on Twitter | Auburn Men's Tennis on Facebook
AUBURN - The Auburn men's tennis team opened the 2013 dual match season with a pair of victories Saturday, defeating Jacksonville State 7-0 and Mercer 7-0 in a doubleheader at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
The Tigers (2-0) are now 23-7 in home matches over the last three seasons, including an unbeaten mark in non-conference play since the beginning of last season. Auburn did not lose a single set over the two matches today.
"We needed the match play," Auburn head coach Eric Shore said. "I think they came out and did a good job. I thought we got better as the day went on. We have some things we need to work on. We're trying to get ready for next weekend. We got to play outdoors in the morning, which helped because we will be outside next weekend, and we're also preparing for Troy on Tuesday who is much improved from last year. We're looking to continue our success on Tuesday."
Auburn opened the day with a sweep of Jacksonville State in doubles. The nation's No. 2-ranked duo of senior Andreas Mies and junior Daniel Cochrane breezed to an 8-1 win over JSU's Nenad Marcec and Axel Sundberg. The team of senior Lucas Lopasso and junior Daniel Cochrane clinched the doubles point with an 8-3 win over Felipe Diaz and Felipe Watanabe on court three, and sophomore Lukas Ollert and freshman Joseph Van Dooren also took an 8-3 win over Felipe Wenzel and Igor Santos at the No. 2 doubles spot.
In singles, the Tigers put together several dominating performances to sweep the first three matches. Ollert did not lose a game in a 6-0, 6-0 win over Nenad Marcec at the No. 3 singles spot, and Michael Wardell only dropped one game in a 6-1, 6-0 decision over Felipe Diaz at the No. 5 spot. Lopasso would clinch the win for the Tigers on court four with a 6-1, 6-0 win of his own over Felipe Wenzel.
Van Dooren, playing in his first singles match as a Tiger, posted a 6-3, 6-1 win on court six over JSU's Felipe Watanabe. Cochrane, playing at the No. 1 singles spot, claimed a 6-1, 6-2 win over Axel Sundberg, and Lengsfeld fought through a tiebreaker in the first set to win his match, 7-6 (2), 6-1 and wrap up the day's first session.
The Tigers came back in the evening to post another 7-0 win over Mercer. In doubles Mies and Cochrane defeated Mercer's Victor Dias and Joao Pagan 8-4. The team of Ollert and Dooren clinched the doubles point with an 8-1 win over Arnav Mohanty and Arsav Mohanty on court three, and Dennis Lengsfield and Lucas Lopasso also took an 8-3 win over Vincent Delise and Austin Emmet at the No. 2 doubles spot.
In singles, the Tigers continued their success and finished their season debut with another win. Denis Lengsfeld did not lose a game in a 6-0, 6-0 win over Vincent Delise at the No. 4 singles spot. Ollert would clinch the win for the Tigers on court 3 with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Joao Pagan.
Auburn will return to action Tuesday, Jan. 22, with a 2 p.m. home match against the Troy Trojans at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. Admission is free.
Auburn Men's Tennis Results
January 19, 2013
Yarbrough Tennis Center - Auburn, Ala.
Auburn 7, Jacksonville State 0
1. Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Axel Sundberg (JSU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Igor Santos (JSU), 7-6 (2), 6-1
3. Lukas Ollert (AU) def. Nenad Marcec (JSU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Lucas Lopasso (AU) def. Felipe Wenzel (JSU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Michael Wardell (AU) def. Felipe Diaz (JSU), 6-1, 6-0
6. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) def. Felipe Watanabe (JSU), 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 5, 4, 6, 1, 2
1. #2 Andreas Mies/Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Nenad Marcec/Axel Sundberg (JSU), 8-1
2. Lucas Lopasso/Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Igor Santos/Felipe Wenzel (JSU), 8-3
3. Lukas Ollert/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) def. Felipe Watanabe/Felipe Diaz (JSU), 8-3
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
T - 2:44
Auburn 7, Mercer 0
1. #74 Andreas Mies (AU) def. Anderson Scarpa (Mercer), 6-1, 6-3
2. Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Arnav Mohanty (Mercer), 6-3, 6-0
3. Lukas Ollert (AU) def. Joao Pagan (Mercer), 6-0, 6-3
4. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Vincent Delise (Mercer), 6-0, 6-0
5. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) def. Arsav Mohanty (Mercer), 6-0, 6-4
6. Michael Wardell (AU) def. Peter Tauchner (Mercer), 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish: 4, 1, 3, 5, 6, 2
1. #2 Andreas Mies/Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Victor Dias/ Joao Pagan (Mercer), 8-4
2. Lucas Lopasso/Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Austin Emmet/Vincent DeLise (Mercer), 8-3
3. Lukas Ollert/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) def. Arnav Mohanty/Arsav Mohanty (Mercer), 8-1
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
T - 2:13
Auburn 2-0, national ranking #21
Jacksonville State 0-1