Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game
||Billed as the "Daytona 500 of College Football," the annual Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game is the nation's premier season-opening neutral site game matching top teams to kick off the first weekend of every college football season.
||Auburn vs. Clemson
|Date & Location:
||Saturday, September 1, 2012 - Georgia Dome, Atlanta, GA
||National broadcast on ABC or ESPN
||The game is being hosted by the Chick-fil-A Bowl in partnership with ESPN.
To Ten Things Tiger Fans Need to Know before coming to Atlanta
1. YOU CAN STILL STAY WHERE THE TEAM STAYS. There are still a few rooms left at the official team hotels. Follow the links from the home page at www.Chick-fil-AKickoffGame.com.
2. FanZone is your MUST SEE event. Starting at 12:30 and culminating in the OFFICIAL TEAM WALKS and pep rallies at the end of the day, FanZone presented by Coca-Cola Zero is the premiere fan event of game day. Escape the September heat, grab something to eat or drink, play some fun games, get autographs from AUBURN and CLEMSON greats, try a free Chick-fil-A cookie, and win some of our great prizes. Lines get long on game day. If you order online in advance, you’ll skip to the front of the line and save 30% off of the game day price.
3. Parking on game day is tough. And even when you do find it, game day lots are charging $60 - $70 for a good spot. We have 150 premium parking passes left for game day. $40 gets you guaranteed parking in a Georgia Dome lot and a TWO free FanZone tickets.
4. For fans looking for a VIP HOSPITALITY experience, the Tiger Tailgate is your best bet. Housed inside the Georgia World Congress Center from 3 - 6 pm on game day, and with special appearances from school athletic officials and special guests, plus the cheerleaders and mascot…they’re close to FanZone and the team walks, and are private functions. Visit Chick-fil-AKickoffGame.com to order. Only 400 tickets are available for each event. Act now before they’re sold out.
5. We can take the hassle out of OUTDOOR tailgating. Want to tailgate outside, but don’t want to drag everything from home? We’ve got you covered…and you can tailgate in the shadow of the Georgia Dome. We can offer you everything from a simple 10’ x 10’ tent with chairs and a table, to a fully catered 20’ x 40’ tent with air conditioning and TV. You don’t have to bring anything but yourself, your friends and your game-day attitude. Click on “Tailgate at the Dome” on our web site.
6. You can take in a Braves game while you’re in town. While the football season is just kicking off, the Braves head into the last month of Chipper Jones' Hall of Fame career in the middle of an exciting pennant race. Come out to Turner Field 9/1 through 9/3 and take advantage of your Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game Weekend discount. There's no better way to cap off Labor Day Weekend! Visit http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/atl/ticketing/supergroup.jsp?group=kickoffgame to order your discounted tickets today!
7. Fans love tailgating. The Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game’s Tailgate Town celebrates everything you love about the tailgate party. Before you make your way to FanZone, stop by, eat some food, play some games…watch real pros do cooking demos…and it’s all free. There’s also a real-deal cook-off between BBQ joints from Auburn and Clemson, a live DJ, dozens of vendors and sponsor interactive activities, and did we mention giveaways? And it’s all right next door to the Dome from 1 – 6 pm.
8. Merchandise will be available in FanZone and the Georgia Dome on game day. Whether you’re looking for some just team-branded, or a memento of the Kickoff Game, there will be chances to get your gear in FanZone and the Dome. Game programs have sold out early the past two years, so buy as soon as you get in the building.
9. Friday night is Fan Night. Right downtown, next to Centennial Olympic Park, there are two attractions that are offering you a special admission. The Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coke both offer special pricing and offers for fans. Details are available at Chick-fil-AKickoffGame.com.
10. WHO WILL WEAR THE OLD LEATHER HELMET? It’s a tradition almost 100 years in the making. The trophy for the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game is called “The Old Leather Helmet,” an old-school leather football helmet that celebrates the origins and toughness of the game. Don’t be surprised to see The Old Leather Helmet worn and passed from player to player post game on the field. You can get your picture taken wearing The Old Leather Helmet at FanZone.
For information on all of this and MORE, visit www.Chick-fil-AKickoffGame.com.
- Both Auburn and Clemson are projected to be ranked in the pre-season Top 25. This would mark the fifth straight year the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game has matched Top 25 teams to open the college football season.
- The Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game's average total team payout of $4 million is higher than 20 bowl games.
- The Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game creates a BCS-style atmosphere that has attracted teams with national rankings of No. 5 (2), No. 7, No. 9, No. 16, No. 18, No. 19 and No. 24.
- Three previous Chick-fil-A Kickoff Games have provided a national broadcast in prime time on ABC.
- ESPN's College GameDay Built by The Home Depot has appeared at the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game a record three straight years, marking it as the weekend's biggest match-up, 2008-2010.
- Team History: Auburn vs. Clemson - Clemson won last year 38-24 in Death Valley, making this game the rubber match in the recent three-game series stretch.
- Future Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game Match-Ups:
2013 - Alabama vs. Virginia Tech 2014 - Ole Miss vs. Boise State