Auburn Game Notes
vs. Alabama—November 23, 2002
* Auburn scored its first touchdown in Tuscaloosa since 1901. The Tigers defeated Alabama in 2000, 9-0, with three Damon Duval field goals.
* Dating back to 1990, Auburn tied its largest lead in the first half against Alabama with the 17-0 lead. Auburn also led 17-0 in 1998, but, lost the game, 31-17.
* Dating back to 1990, Auburn’s 17-0 lead was its largest at halftime in the Auburn-Alabama series. Since 1990, the previous largest Auburn halftime lead was 10 points, 24-14 in 1995.
* For the fourth time this season, Auburn shut out an opponent in the first half. The Tigers also shut out Western Carolina, LSU and Louisiana-Monroe in the first half.
* Auburn equaled its largest halftime lead in an SEC game this season with the 17-0 lead. Auburn also led LSU, 17-0 at halftime.
* Auburn has had three different running backs rush for over 100 yards in a game for the first time in the last 13 years (that’s as far back as we can check here). Carnell Williams rushed for over 100 in three games, Ronnie Brown rushed for 100 or more in three games and Tre Smith had his first 100-yard performance with xxx yards today.
* Auburn has rushed for over 100 yards in 13 consecutive games.
* The Auburn defense has picked up 20 interceptions this season, which is the most in a season since 1968 when the Tigers had a school record 25.
* Auburn’s 17-7 win over Alabama breaks the Tigers’ 22 game streak with at least one rushing touchdown in each game.
* The team leading at halftime in this series has won 49-of-67 times for a percentage of 73.
* Auburn is undefeated when playing Alabama in Tuscaloosa. The Tigers have outscored the Crimson Tide 91-7 during that stretch.
* In the last 10 games of this series, Auburn has led at the half six times and ended up winning the game three times, including today’s win.
* The last time an Auburn team defeated a top 10 Alabama team was 1989 when Alabama was ranked at No. 2 and the Tigers were ranked No. 11. Auburn defeated the Crimson Tide 30-20; the first-ever game played in Jordan-Hare Stadium between the two teams.
* Since the resumption of the
series in 1948, Auburn, as an unranked team, had never before defeated a top 10
* Carlos Rogers’ interception in the fourth quarter is his fourth of the season, and his career.
* Tre Smith rushed for 126 yards today, becoming the fourth Auburn player and the first true freshman dating back to 1990 to rush for over 100-yards in the game. Rudi Johnson rushed for 130 yards in 2000, Demontray Carter ran for 102 yards in 1998 and James Bostic rushed for 147 yards in 1993.
* Tre Smith is the first Auburn true freshman to rush for over 100 yards since Carnell Williams ran for 167 yards against Georgia last season as a true freshman.
* With 126 yards today, Tre Smith became just the second running back to rush for over 100 yards against Alabama this season. Georgia’s Musa Smith also had 126 yards against the Crimson Tide.
* Robert Johnson caught his second touchdown pass in the first quarter, becoming the first Auburn player to catch two touchdown passes in a game since Deandre Green had two against Louisiana Tech in 2001. The last time an Auburn player had two touchdown passes in an SEC game was Ronney Daniels who scored two against Georgia in 1999 (also in one quarter- the second).
* Since 1990, Auburn has not had a player catch two touchdown passes in an Auburn-Alabama game until today when Robert Johnson caught two in the first quarter.
* Anthony Mix’s 46-yard pass play in the first quarter was his longest of the season. His previous long was 41-yards against Louisiana-Monroe.
* Tre Smith had a 51-yard run in the first quarter, which was a career long. His previous long run was 36 yards against LSU.
* Robert Johnson scored his third and fourth touchdowns of the season and the ninth and 10th of his career in the first quarter.
* Since the Florida game, Jason Campbell has thrown eight touchdown passes.
* Damon Duval connected on a 40-yard field goal in the second quarter. It was his first field goal of 40 yards or more since making a 48-yarder against Louisiana Tech last season. He had missed his previous seven attempts of 40 yards or more.
* Jason Campbell threw for 141 yards in the first half, which was an Auburn season passing high in the first half against an SEC opponent. The previous high was 135 yards passing by Daniel Cobb against Arkansas.