Auburn Game Notes and Quotes
vs. Syracuse—September 28, 2002
* With a first quarter interception by Derrick Graves, Auburn’s defense has recorded at least one interception in every game this season and in five consecutive games dating back to last season.
* With a three interceptions on the evening, the Auburn defense has 10 interceptions this season, including seven in the last three games. The three interceptions are the most by the Tigers since picking off five against Louisiana Tech last season.
* The 75-yard pass from Daniel Cobb to Marcel Willis was Auburn’s longest play of the season. It was the longest Auburn pass completion since Jason Campbell connected with Tim Carter for 72 yards at LSU in 2001.
* The Tigers’ defense has created nine turnovers in the last two games.
* With seven points off turnovers tonight, Auburn has score 70 points off turnovers this season.
* Auburn has a 12-game winning streak in non-conference games in Jordan-Hare Stadium. Dating back to 1980, Auburn is 67-7 in non-conference home games, winning 30 of the last 31. The Tigers last loss at home to a non-SEC opponent was to Virginia (19-0) on Sept. 3, 1998.
* Coach Tommy Tuberville is 10-0 at Auburn in non-conference home games and is 19-0 as a head coach in non-SEC contests at home.
* Coach Tommy Tuberville has now won 50 games in his seven-plus years as a head coach, including a 25-16 mark at Auburn in his four years at the school.
* Under Tommy Tuberville, Auburn is 23-1 when scoring 20 or more points in a game, including a perfect 23-0 mark in the regular season. The Tigers only loss in the last three years when scoring 20+ points was a 31-28 loss to Michigan in the 2001 Capital One Florida Citrus Bowl.
* Auburn is 11-8-2 all-time against Big East opponents, including a 1-1-1 mark against Syracuse.
* Auburn quarterbacks Jason Campbell and Daniel Cobb completed passes to 12 different Tiger receivers.
* Auburn is now 3-2 in overtime games, winning three straight overtime contests in Jordan-Hare Stadium in each of the last three seasons. The Tigers defeated Georgia 29-26 in OT in 2000, defeated Louisiana Tech 48-41 in OT in 2001 and Syracuse 37-34 in 2002. In fact, Auburn has played an overtime game in each of the last four seasons (losing to Ole Miss 24-17 in 1999).
* The three overtime game vs. Syracuse is the second longest game in Auburn history, falling short of the four overtime 56-49 loss to Georgia in Jordan-Hare Stadium in 1996.
* Carnell Williams’ 202-yard rushing effort (on 40 carries) was a career-high and was his third consecutive 100-yard rushing game of the season and fifth of his career. The last Auburn player to rush for 100-yards in three straight games was Rudi Johnson, who ran for 100+ yards in five consecutive games in 2000. It also marked the fourth time of Williams’ career that he rushed for over 150 yards. The 40 carries is the second most all-time in a single game, trailing only Carnell Williams’ 41 rushing attempts in the AU win at Georgia last year.
* Carnell Williams’ 202 yards rushing and Marcel Wilis’ 113 yards receiving mark the first time since the 1994 Arkansas game that the Tigers have had a 200-yard rusher and a 100-yard receiver in the same game. Stephen Davis rushed for 246 yards while Frank Sanders had 128 yards receiving vs. the Razorbacks.
* Carnell Williams’ 202 yards rushing and Marcel Willis’ 113 yards receiving mark the first time since 2001 that the Tigers have had a 100-yard rusher and receiver in the same game. Williams had 177 yards rushing and Tim Carter had 156 yards receiving at Arkansas last year.
* Carnell Williams’ two touchdown runs in overtime were his eighth and ninth rushing TDs this season and the 14th and 15th of his career. Williams has rushed for at least one touchdown in each of Auburn’s five games this year.
* Sophomore LB Derrick Graves notched his first career interception in the first quarter.
* With 77 yards on 18 carries in the first half, running back Carnell Williams has rushed for 391 yards in the first half this season. Williams had 97 yards at Southern California, 67 yards vs. Western Carolina, 91 yards vs. Vanderbilt, and 59 yards at Mississippi State.
* Daniel Cobb’s 75-yard pass completion to Marcel Willis was his longest completion of his career and Willis’ longest reception of his career
* With a 34-yard field goal in the second quarter, Damon Duval moved into a tie for second place on Auburn’s career field goals made list with 42. Duval moved into a tie with Al Del Greco who connected on 42 field goals from 1980-83. Duval is four field goals shy of becoming Auburn’s career leader in field goals (Win Lyle, 45, 1987-89).
* With seven points kicking this evening, Damon Duval moved into second-place (passing Win Lyle, 230 pts.) on the Tigers’ career list with 234 points kicking. Duval is three points shy of becoming Auburn’s career leader in the category (Al Del Greco, 236, 1980-83).
* With two third quarter interceptions, sophomore Carlos Rogers is the first Auburn player with two interceptions in a game since Larry Casher had two against Florida in 1999.
* QB Jason Campbell’s rushing touchdown in the third quarter was his fourth rushing touchdown of his career.
* Marcel Willis’ 113 yards receiving (three catches) is a career high. Willis is the first 100-yard receiver for Auburn this season and the first since Tim Carter had 156 yards at Arkansas in 2001.
* Jason Campbell’s touchdown pass to Cooper Wallace was his second passing TD of the season. His first came on a 17-yard pass to Wallace against Western Carolina. The score was Wallace’s second of his career.
* With a touchdown passing and receiving, Jason Campbell now has had a score running and passing three times in his career. Campbell did it in 2001 against Ball State and Syracuse.
* Brandon Johnson’s recorded his first touchdown reception of his career in the fourth quarter to give Auburn its first lead of the game.
Auburn Head Coach Tommy Tuberville Quotes:
On the game…
"This game was a character builder for us. We didn’t play well the first half. We were down 17 points, but our guys fought back and we did a good job in the second half. We played better after the half and we just outlasted them. It was a tough game with a lot of obstacles, but this game shows the strength of our program."
On Carnell Williams…
"Carnell looks for daylight and doesn’t give up; he goes for the extra yard and gets it. He gives us a lot of play action. He goes inside and then runs back out to the corner and obviously gets the job done like he did tonight. He gets better and better every time he has the ball and our line gets stronger every time they block for him."
Quoting Auburn Players:
Carlos Rogers, DB
“The first half wasn’t us. We stepped up and came back in the second half. The defense stuck together. Coach (Tuberville) talked to us at halftime and we were able to pull it out in the end.”
Dontarrious Thomas, LB
“We played a tough game. It was hard-fought. We didn’t look pretty in the first half, but we pulled it out.”
Junior Rosegreen, DB
“We came into the game slack. We just have to show character. We came back and played hard. The defense came hard and the offense backed them up. We will get better with every game from now on.”
Jason Campbell, QB
“In the first half, it seemed like everything went wrong. At the half, Coach Tuberville said we needed to come out and make some plays. We came out in the second half and stepped up and showed a lot of character to get the win.”
Carnell Williams, TB
“In the first half, we didn’t play that well and Syracuse did some things that kept us off balance. In the second half, we came out and showed some courage and stayed strong to get the win.
(On the game-winning TD run):
“I had two guys to beat on the outside and I just went out there and made a decision that I was going to step up and make a play. I cut around one of them and made it into the end zone.”
Ben Nowland, C
“This is a huge win. I am glad we have Carnell on the team. He is a great, hard-working player. He stepped up for a young guy and kept everyone’s heads up. He became a leader during the game and stepped up and won the game for us.”
Syracuse Game Notes:
* Jamel Riddle’s career-best 85-yard punt return for a touchdown is the fifth-longest in SU history. Riddle is the seventh SE player ever to compile more than 500 punt return yards. It is his second career punt return for a touchdown (Virginia Tech, 2001), which ties for fourth in SU history.
* Walter Reyes’ 68-yard touchdown run is a career-long.
* O’Neil Scott’s interception is the first of his career.
* Damien Rhodes 41-yard kickoff return is a career-long.
* Jared Jones’ 16-yard reception is the first of his career.
* Cory Brooks fumble recover is the first of his SU career.
Quoting Syracuse Head Coach Paul Pasqualomi --- The Auburn Game
"Our guys really fought hard. This was a big-time football game in the SEC. Auburn is a really physical team. I am proud of the way we battled. I wish we could have two or three plays back. We had bad field position in the second half, and we had a tough time getting it across the 50. When we did, we scored.
(On Auburn’s Carnell Williams’ play in overtime): "Cadillac made a great play. He turned the corner, got his hands up and scored like a great player would."
(On the Syracuse loss): "This is hard. Every loss is a tough loss, and we battled on the road. There are good things that can come out of this, and we will be ready for the start of Big East play next week."
Quoting Syracuse Players --- The Auburn Game
David Tyree, WR
"This was the first time all three phases were clicking. It gives you confidence going into the Big East season. Auburn was a top-flight team. I tip my hat to them. They played just as hard as we did. You have to love the character of our team because when we were down, we fought back."
Troy Nunes, QB
"As a captain of the team, I think we showed a lot of heart. It is tough to come into Auburn and win. I think at the end of the game, if R.J. (Anderson) is in there, the same things happen. Fortunately, we got it to overtime. Unfortunately, we lost it."
Christian Ferrara, DT
"This is a big step forward for us. It was a war out there. It was a 15-round punch out. I am disappointed that we lost. Auburn has the best field goal kicker and punter in the nation. Cadillac (Williams) is a great back. We stopped them, but he hit some holes and made some plays."
R.J. Anderson, QB
"Troy (Nunes) did a great job. He is capable of winning a game for us. It is a tough thing to lose at a place like this. We battled throughout the game. We have to iron out some things, but we played with a lot of heart."
Keeon Walker, SS
"I think we found ourselves a little bit down here. No one gave us a chance down here, but we played well and came up short. Now, we just have to get ready for next week."