Sep 9, 2013
The Mississippi State vs. Auburn football game on September 14 has been chosen as the 2013 Auburn Goes Green Game. Auburn Goes Green is a celebration of Auburn University’s commitment to sustainability, and invites fans to do their part in tailgating and attending this and every event in ways that conserve resources and protect “the Loveliest Village on The Plains.”
Auburn University has a wide range of innovative sustainability initiatives happening and several of these initiatives will be highlighted throughout game day. Of course, Auburn Goes Green is more than a day; it’s an institutional commitment that serves Auburn’s mission as a land grant institution to improve the lives of the people of Alabama and beyond.
Fans can participate in the Auburn Goes Green initiative at this and every game by making a few simple decisions. Here are six tips toward greener game experiences:
- Shop locally and purchase fresh and organic foods for a Game Day spread that supports local businesses and provides the best nutrition.
- Avoid the disposable and pick the reusable to save money and produce less waste. Examples include reusable plates, cups, utensils, tablecloths, etc.
- Choose aluminum cans rather than glass containers, and avoid Styrofoam and plastic cups. Auburn only recycles plastic bottles and aluminum cans on Game Day, so pick items that can be recycled.
- Reduce air pollution and save fuel on Game Day by riding Tiger Transit and carpooling with others.
- Look for volunteers in bright yellow shirts distributing recycling bags for tailgaters, and look for the 300-plus recycling bins on campus to give plastic bottles and aluminum cans a new life.
- Bonus tip: Inside Jordan-Hare Stadium make sure plastic bottles and aluminum cans go only one place: in the recycling bins.
The Auburn Goes Green Game is a partnership effort sponsored by the Athletic Department, Coca Cola, the Waste Reduction and Recycling Department, and the Office of Sustainability, and gives us an opportunity to invite more people to participate in Auburn’s commitment to go green.
The office of sustainability will have a table at the Coca Cola Fan Fest on Nichols lawn, for more information.