Sept. 8, 2012 | 11 AM CT
Davis Wade Stadium | Starkville, Miss.
TV: ESPN | Radio: Auburn IMG Sports Network
Auburn (0-1, 0-0 SEC) visits Mississippi State (1-0, 0-0 SEC) in the Southeastern Conference opener for both teams Saturday, September 8, 2012, at Davis Wade Stadium at Scott Field (55,082) in Starkville. Kickoff is set for 11 a.m. CT and the game will be televised by ESPN and ESPN 3D. This will be the fifth time Auburn football has appeared on a 3D telecast.
It is the 49th meeting between the two schools and the third consecutive season in which they have played. Clemson defeated Auburn 38-24 last season in Clemson.
First and 10
- Auburn begins its 79th season of Southeastern Conference play with Saturday's game at Mississippi State
- The Tigers are 45-28-5 in SEC openers, including an 18-1 mark in their last 19 league openers
- This is the 86th meeting between the schools in football; Auburn leads the series 60-23-2
- Coach Gene Chizik is 30-11 in his fourth season at Auburn; 35-30 in his sixth season overall as a head coach
- Auburn starts the season with two non-home games for the first time since 1984
- Auburn has new coordinators on both sides of the football for 2012, in defensive coordinator Brian Van Gorder and offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler
- Junior punter Steven Clark, one of three finalists for last year's Ray Guy Award, is one of two returning first team all-SEC honorees for Auburn, along with junior defensive end Corey Lemonier. Returnees Philip Lutzenkirchen (senior tight end) and Onterio McCalebb (senior all- purpose back) were second team all-SEC selections in 2011.
- Auburn's last two matchups with Mississippi State have been decided by the final drives
- Auburn's 2012 schedule features eight games against bowl participants from a year ago, including five that played in traditional New Year's games
- 15 players saw their first collegiate action for Auburn last Saturday