No. 25 Auburn faces No. 14 Clemson in the 2012 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game Saturday, September 1, 2012, at the Georgia Dome (73,000) in Atlanta. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. CT (7 p.m. ET) and the game will be televised by ESPN.
It is the 49th meeting between the two schools and the third consecutive season in which they have played. Clemson defeated Auburn 38-24 last season in Clemson.
First and 10
- Auburn begins its 120th season of football with the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game versus Clemson
- The Tigers are ranked No. 25 in the preseason USA Today Coaches' Poll
- This is the 49th meeting between the schools in football; Auburn leads the series 34-12-2
- Coach Gene Chizik is 30-10 beginning his fourth season at Auburn; 35-29 in his sixth season overall
- Auburn starts the season with two non-home games for the first time since 1984
- Auburn welcomes new coordinators on both sides of the football, in defensive coordinator Brian Van Gorder and offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler
- Junior punter Steven Clark, one of three finalists for last year's Ray Guy Award, is one of two returning first team all-SEC honorees for Auburn, along with junior defensive end Corey Lemonier. Returnees Philip Lutzenkirchen (senior tight end) and Onterio McCalebb (senior allpurpose back) were second team all-SEC selections in 2011
- Auburn has averaged crowds of more than 80,000 per game at Jordan-Hare Stadium for the last 19 seasons
- The Clemson game is the first non-home game opener for Auburn since 2002
- Auburn's 2012 schedule features eight games against bowl participants from a year ago, including five that played in traditional New Year's games
Full Notes (PDF)