May 9, 2014
Greg Robinson, formerly of Auburn and now of the St. Louis Rams, has reason to smile as the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft
By Charles Goldberg
NEW YORK -- Greg Robinson and Dee Ford heard their names called in the first round of the NFL Draft on Thursday night. Does that have a familiar ring? Maybe it should. They became the eighth and ninth first-round selections from Auburn over the last 10 years.
Robinson was the fifth Auburn player ever selected as the No. 1 or No. 2 pick in the modern era of the draft that began in 1970, joining Cam Newton, the No. 1 pick in 2011; Ronnie Brown, the No. 2 pick in 2005; Aundray Bruce, the No. 1 pick in 1988 and Bo Jackson, the No. 1 pick in 1986.
Only Auburn, Southern California and Notre Dame have had at least five players selected as a No. 1 or No. 2 pick.
Robinson is going to the St. Louis Rams and Ford is going to the Kansas City Chiefs. More Tigers could go in Friday and Saturday's rounds of the draft. Look for running back Tre Mason to get an early call Friday night.
Shon Coleman was on stage, too, in Radio City Music Hall.
Other notes from Auburn…
• Auburn had two first round draft picks for the first time since 2011 and the third time in the last 10 years (2 in 2014; 2 in 2011; 4 in 2005).
• Auburn has had at least one player drafted in 37 of the last 38 years.
• Robinson is the first Auburn offensive lineman drafted in first round since Ben Grubbs in 2007 (Baltimore).
• Robinson is the first Auburn player drafted by the Rams since 1994 (OT Wayne Gandy, 1st round; RB James Bostic, 3rd round).
• Ford is the first Auburn player drafted by Kansas City since receiver Jeris McIntyre in 2004 (6th round).
• Ford is the highest drafted Auburn defensive lineman since Nick Fairley was the 13th overall pick in the 2011 draft.
• Ford is the highest drafted Auburn defensive end since Gerald Robinson in 1986 (No. 14 overall to Minnesota).
• Ford is the ninth Auburn defensive lineman drafted in the last 10 years.
Charles Goldberg is a Senior Writer at AuburnTigers.com. Follow him on Twitter: Follow @AUGoldMine