Living Their Dream
Feb. 20, 2013
As the NFL Combine gets underway Wednesday, three Auburn Tigers – tight end Philip Lutzenkirchen, running back Onterio McCalebb and defensive end Corey Lemonier – will participate in a four-day evaluation like none other. It’s the next step on the path toward earning a job in professional football. Auburn media relations student Kelsie Franklin talked with Lemonier earlier this week about how his preparation is going:
Most people know what it’s like to have a dream, but it’s hard to say that most know what it’s like to see it come true. That is what’s happening for former Auburn defensive end Corey Lemonier. As he gets ready for the NFL combine this weekend, he sees his ultimate goal of playing professional football within reach.
“I’m super excited about the whole thing. Right now, I’m just trying to enjoy the moment and stay humble,” Lemonier said. “It’s all happening kind of fast, but it really is watching a dream become reality.”
With a strict daily routine that includes an intense two-hour workout twice a day and a three-hour workout in the evenings at a martial arts gym, Corey is able to remain focused on the task at hand and get better and better.
“I wouldn’t say I set a particular goal to reach every day. My goal is just to get better every single workout,” he explains. “Working out and getting better is one of my favorite parts about this training experience.”
With his strict workout schedule and support from former teammates and coaches like Mike Pelton and Tracy Rocker, Lemonier feels like he has all of the resources he needs to do a great job at the NFL Combine and make a great impression.
“It means so much to be able to watch my dreams play out,” said Corey. “My plan is to work hard and when I get there, run as fast as I possibly can. I want to remain focused, stay humble, and make my family and Auburn proud.”
Lemonier chose to forego his senior season at Auburn and enter the draft. He finished his junior season with 34 tackles and 51/2 sacks. He was a second-team All-SEC selection by the coaches in 2012.
Lutzenkirchen and the tight ends will participate in the Combine Wednesday through Saturday. McCalebb and the running backs work Thursday through Sunday, and Lemonier and the defensive linemen are involved Friday through Monday.
Live coverage on the NFL Network of on-field workouts begins Saturday, February 23 at 9:00 AM ET with the offensive linemen, tight ends and kickers, and continues with the running backs, quarterbacks and wide receivers on Sunday, February 24; linebackers and defensive linemen on Monday, February 25; and defensive backs on Tuesday, February 26. Coverage of workouts begins each day at 9:00 AM ET.
Located at NFL.com’s Combine home, NFL.com/combine, NFL.com’s coverage of the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine gives fans the opportunity to design their own experience with features such as:
• Cover it Live: New to NFL.com’s coverage of the NFL Scouting Combine this year, Cover it Live offers fans the opportunity to answer instant poll questions, interact with other fans, view video highlights and player interviews, and browse various Twitter pages.
• NFL.com’s Combine Tracker: NFL.com presents the Combine Tracker, which provides unofficial 40-yard dash times for each participant immediately. Additionally, statistics from every drill are available on the Combine Tracker, offering a central location for everything to do with the Combine.
• NFL Fan Pass: NFL Fan Pass gives fans the unique ability to interact with all of the news and action surrounding the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine. Using insider access that only the official digital properties of the National Football League can deliver, NFL Fan Pass provides daily interviews with the prospects, videos and photos on NFL.com/fanpass, NFL Mobile presented by Verizon, and NFL Network.
• Extensive Database of Prospects: Profiles of every participant, including scouting reports and statistics.
• Exclusive Video and Photo Gallery: Player interviews, news conferences, NFL Total Access segments and other event coverage.
More Auburn Football Headlines
More Auburn Headlines