Jan. 4, 2014
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. - OK class, with the BCS Championship Game between No. 2 Auburn and No. 1 Florida State just two days away, it's time to learn some facts you might not have known. ESPN guys and gals are welcome to sit and listen.
Here we go:
* Over 10 seasons, including this one, Auburn has won more SEC football championships than any other program. It has three (2004, 2010, 2013), Alabama has two (2009, 2012), LSU has two (2007, 2011), Florida has two (2006, 2008) and Georgia has one (2005).
* Auburn is the only SEC program with two perfect records in the past 10 seasons and three in the past 21 seasons.
* Auburn's 545 rushing yards against Missouri were the most ever by one SEC team against another SEC team.
* Three Auburn coaches have combined to go 6-6 against Nick Saban in his stints at LSU and Alabama.
* Saban is 6-0 against Auburn teams with five or more losses and 0-6 against Auburn teams with four or fewer losses.
* Auburn has won four consecutive championship games - 38-28 over Tennessee in the 2004 SEC Championship Game, 56-17 over South Carolina in the 2010 SEC Championship Game, 22-19 over Oregon in the 2011 (2010 season) BCS Championship Game and 59-42 over Missouri in the 2013 SEC Championship Game.
* In 14 seasons, Auburn has had the SEC Offensive Player of the Year five times - running back Rudi Johnson in 2000, quarterback Jason Campbell in 2004, running back Kenny Irons in 2005, quarterback Cam Newton in 2010 and running back Tre Mason this season.
* Auburn has returned four kicks or punts for touchdowns this season. Tre Mason and Corey Grant have touchdown kickoff returns. Chris Davis has a touchdown punt return and the now famous 109-yard return of a missed field goal to beat Alabama.
* Auburn beat six teams this season that it lost to by 17 points or more last season, four that it lost to by 21 points or more and three that it lost to by 38 points or more.
That's it for today, class. Thanks for your attention.
Phillip Marshall is a Senior Writer for AuburnTigers.com. Follow Marshall on Twitter: