Game Notes - Auburn at Mississippi State
Oct. 8, 2016
AUBURN AT MISSISSIPPI STATE
AUBURN AT MISSISSIPPI STATE
October 8, 2016
Davis Wade Stadium | Starkville, Miss.
- Captains: Montravius Adams, Carl Lawson, Alex Kozan, Marcus Davis
- Weather: 70 degrees at kickoff
- Coin Toss: Mississippi State wins the toss and defers; Auburn will receive
- Attendance: 60,102
- This was Gus Malzahn's 40th win as a college head coach. He is 40-18 overall and 31-15 at Auburn.
- Auburn has won 17 of its last 21 SEC road openers since 1996 and 9 of its last 13 road openers overall
- Jalen Harris was a first-time starter for Auburn; the Tigers have had nine first-time starters this season
- Auburn has had more than 30 minutes of possession in four straight games (TAMU, 31:04; LSU, 32:11; ULM, 33:15; MSU, 33:22)
- Auburn is 24-4 under Malzahn when scoring first.
- The Tigers are 25-8 when rushing for more than 200 yards under Gus Malzahn.
- Five different receivers have a touchdown catch for Auburn this season
- Auburn has held five of six opponents in 2016 and six of its last seven opponents under 20 points
- 35 is the most points Auburn has scored in the first half since scoring 38 vs. San José State in the first half last season. It's the most points scored in the first half of an SEC game since 38 vs. Mississippi State in 2003 and the most in any half of an SEC game since 2010 (38 vs. Arkansas, 2nd half).
- Auburn's 335 yards total offense are the most in the first half since 383 vs. Alabama in 2014.
- Mississippi State's 91 total yards in the first half were Auburn's fewest yards allowed in half vs. an SEC opponent since LSU (90) in 2014
- It was Auburn's largest halftime lead in an SEC game since a 42-6 advantage vs. Vanderbilt in 1990. It was the largest halftime lead in an SEC road game since leading Florida 35-0 n 1970
- This was Auburn's first first-half shutout of an SEC opponent since 2008
- Auburn has scored 446 points in 14 road games under Gus Malzahn (31.8 ppg)
- Kamryn Pettway records his first multiple touchdown game with three rushing scores in the first half, giving him three scores for his career. It's the third multiple-TD game by an Auburn running back this season. The last Auburn player to rush for three TD in a game was Peyton Barber vs. Arkansas last season.
- Pettway has a new career high for carries with 398; his previous best was 20 vs. Texas A&M earlier this season. Those 39 carries rank fourth all-time in Auburn records.
- With a career-best 169 yards, Pettway has passed the 100-yard rushing mark for the third time this season (also Arkansas State, Texas A&M). Auburn is 25-8 under Malzahn with a 100-yard rusher in his Auburn head coaching tenure. Auburn has produced a 100-yard rusher in 33 of 46 games under Malzahn.
- Pettway's 27 first-half carries were the most ever in a half by an Auburn player who gained 100 yards in the first half. According to ESPN Stats, it's the second-most carries in a first half in college football in the last 10 years.
- Sean White has passed the 1,000-yard passing mark for the season; his 185 passing yards in the first half today marks his best half since 189 vs. Arkansas in the second half last season
- Kam Martin's 42-yard reception from Sean White was the longest catch of his career
- Ryan Davis' first-quarter TD reception was his first career TD catch. It was Sean White's sixth TD throw of the season and seventh of his career.
- White has passed for 200+ yards in seven of 12 career starts. White is 117-179 (65.4) for 1,401 passing yards in his starts vs. Power 5 teams
- Marlon Davidson's forced fumble in the first quarter was the first of his career; the recovery by Montravius Adams was the second of his career
- Montravius Adams' fumble recovery for a score in the second quarter was his first career touchdown; the last Auburn player to score on a fumble recovery was Justin Garrett vs. Louisville in 2015. The last Auburn player to recover two fumbles in a game was Eltoro Freeman vs. Georgia in 2011.
- This is Carl Lawson's third career multiple-sack game and the second in the last three contests. Lawson has 11 career sacks.
- Tre Williams has surpassed 100 tackles for his career (107 total), the fourth current player to record 100+ tackles at Auburn. This was Williams' third game this season as Auburn's leading tackler
- Stephen Roberts records his first career interception in the fourth quarter
- Johnathan Ford had six tackles on Saturday to increase his career total to 253, moving Ford to fifth on the Auburn career tackle list since 2004, passing Will Herring (250, 2002-06) and Craig Stevens (252, 2005-10).
INDIVIDUAL NOTES/SPECIAL TEAMS
- Daniel Carlson has converted 118 consecutive PAT, the second best streak in Auburn history
- Carlson is 13-14 on field goal attempts this season and 54-65 (.831) for his career, fourth best in SEC records
- Carlson has kicked 30 consecutive touchbacks on kickoffs and is 30-31 for the season
- Auburn's second-quarter punt was its first punt attempt in 17 drives