Skip to main content Skip to footer
Men's Basketball Cancun Trip Recap

Aug. 14, 2007

Photo Gallery

The Auburn Men's Basketball Team is Touring Cancun, Mexico Aug. 8-13
Each day, a different Tiger will offer his recap for this diary

Thursday, Aug. 9

Junior forward Korvotney Barber

"I woke up at 7:30 am and went down to the buffet for breakfast. I ate a couple of omelets and sausages and drank a lot of watermelon juice. It was real good. After that, we left to go to Tulum to see some Mayan ruins. We were told they are 1,000 years old.

Tulum is 80 miles south of cancun so we thought it was just going to take us over an hour to get there. We were wrong. The highways in Mexico are not like the interstates in the United States. We were driving about 40 miles an hour for awhile and the traffic was bumper to bumper. It took forever. I love the United States!!

We all slept so that was good. It ended up taking us two and a half hours to get there.

It was very, very hot. We saw a lot of iguanas. Frank (Tolbert) bought a sombrero, and he thought the iguanas were his friends. He kept getting close to them for a picture, but they kept running away from him.

There were a lot of ruins. We walked all the way to the edge of the cliff and looked out at the ocean. The water was so crystal clear. The wind was very bad at the point and it was blowing sand in our face and the back of our neck. It hurt as it was hitting us with such force.

We stayed at Tulum for just under two hours and headed back to Cancun. We ate our pregame meal when we arrived back at the hotel.

We arrived for the game about an hour before it started. Man, it is hot in that gym. I will pick up with the diary after our game.

"It was a real competitive game. It was very hot in the gym so we got tired fast. I thouight we did really good for the first game. We played physical and came out with the victory. We then came back to the hotel to get some food and relax in the pool. I need to get some fluids in my body. Good night!"

Aug. 8, 2007

Auburn junior guard Rasheem Barrett:

I packed my clothes at 10 pm Tuesday night and then relaxed and talked about the trip with Quan Prowell and Korvotney Barber. I took a nap at midnight and woke up to make the bus at 3:45 am to leave for Atlanta. We all slept for the 90-minute bus trip to the airport. We arrived at the airport three hours early because we had to check in for the international flight to Cancun. The check-in was very quick, and we all had a plenty of time to get breakfast at the airport. We kept saying over and over that we can't believe we are about to make the trip to Mexico. We were all excited.

We all had seats together on the plane, and it was a full flight. Before the door was shut, we were all asleep for the two-hour flight to Cancun. Halfway through the flight, just about everyone woke up and watched the sitcom, `The Office.' We each had to fill out paperwork on the plane to give to customs once we arrived in Mexico.

That was the longest wait once we arrived in going through customs. It took over an hour. The last thing I remember was the guard saying `Welcome to Mexico.'

We then bused to our hotel and had an hour to eat lunch before our practice. Our hotel is beautiful and it has a gorgeous view of the Gulf of Mexico. We don*t like water too much, but we love this. We had an all-you-can eat buffet, and it was delicious. I had hamburgers, rice and chicken and French fries as well as a banana.

We went to practice at 3:45 and it was at the gym where we will be playing our first game Thursday. The gym was one of the hottest places we have ever been and we named it the `Hot Box.' There were only two fans and they wouldn't have cooled my room at home. The gym was not air-conditioned and you can just imagine how hot it is if you were playing in a gym in Auburn with no circulation in the middle of the summer. There was an open door at the end of the baseline and we each took turns to catch a hot breeze whenever we could.

We practiced for 45 minutes and worked on defensive drills, fast break and our half court game. Once practice was over, we boarded the bus which was freezing with its air-conditioning. We loved it. We then went back to the hotel and took a dip in the pool before dinner.

We went back to the all-you-can-eat buffet for dinner and then relaxed and enjoyed the scenery before our curfew. We have a 7:15 am wakeup call Thursday and will eat breakfast at 7:45. We will then leave at 8:30 to go sight-see at Tulum, where there are Mayan ruins. Tulum is just over an hour from Cancun and it has a gorgeous view of the water. We are all looking forward to it as well as a very, very good night's sleep. We will then come back and rest before our pre-game meal and then play our first game of the trip.

Auburn Men's Basketball Diary Day 3
Cancun Trip Diary Update

Aug. 10, 2007

Senior Frank Tolbert:

'My day didn't start to about 11 am. I slept in since we didn't have anything to do. I went outside for awhile on the balcony and looked at the city. I then went down to the pool around noon, and we all did water aerobics. We then all played some volleyball in the pool. It was a lot of fun for everyone. I then came back to my room around 2 pm to take a nap. I didn't wake up until about 5:30 when it was time to go get my jersey from the managers. We then left to go to the game at 6:30 pm. I will check back in after our game."

"We came out and executed what we wanted to do. We played pretty good defense for the most part. They were kind of cold to start the game, but they caught fire in the second half. All in all. I think we did a good job tonight. We made shots again. That was the big key. The work that we put in over the summer is really showing. We are knocking down shots, and that was the key to getting the victory tonight.

We just got back to the hotel and I am going to go up and take a shower and then get something to eat. It is 10 pm now and we are hungry. We are then going to walk down the strip and see what is going on before we go to sleep."

Auburn Men's Basketball Diary Day 4
Cancun Trip Diary Update

Saturday, Aug. 11

DeWayne Reed

"I got up at 10 am and went downstairs to eat breakfast. I ate some pancakes, sausage and some eggs. After that, I went by the pool and put both my feet in the pool. I then went upstairs and took a nap. A couple of us went to the flea market and spent over an hour there. I bought a glass, and they engraved my name on it. I came back to the hotel and ate some hamburgers, fries and a little fruit on the side. I went back to the room and took a nap. I woke up and it was time to go to the game. This is our final game in Cancun so I hope we play well again."

"I think the game that we played wil help us in the future. This has been a good trip for us and will help us come together as a team. I am going back to get some dinner at the hotel and then get some sleep."

Auburn Men's Basketball Diary Day 5
Cancun Trip Diary Update

Sunday, Aug. 12

Junior forward Josh Dollard
(Josh recounts his entire trip):

"It is hot here in Cancun. Cancun is a nice place. Quan Prowell and I went jet-skiing for about two hours and 30 minutes and went over to check out the other side of the island.. It was real fun. We went swimming and had practice in the hot box ... The real Hot Box, not the one in Auburn.

The food is great here at the hotel. They have very good ice cold slushies. The next day, I went jet-skiing again and this time I took Quantez Robertson. We had a good time. You have to stay hydrated here because it is very hot and very humid day and night.

We have met a couple of people in the hotel from all over such as England, Australia, Brazil and Argentina. The people here are very friendly. I have watched some soccer .. Futbol ...

I have had a good time and we head back to Auburn tomorrow."

Auburn Men's Basketball Diary Day 6
Cancun Trip Diary Update

Monday, Aug. 13

"It has been a fun, exciting but long week. I think most of the guys slept in today. I woke up at 10:30 and started packing everything up. We then took our luggage to the lobby and everyone made their last rounds of hanging out with our Cancun friends and say their goodbyes. I want to say goodbye to Amber, Sam, Jenna and Tracey, the Iowa girls, and tell them good luck on their upcoming softball season at Wayne State.

"After we ate lunch at the hotel, we left for the airport. It was a lot quicker at the airport than when we came into Mexico. It was a lot easier getting out. We waited around for awhile for our flight and got something to eat.

"We then took the two-hour flight to Atlanta. When we got to Atlanta and went through customs, I had a little trouble. For some reason there may have been a Drew Smith or someone who looked like me on America's Most Wanted. I helped DeWayne get through because he was on crutches. They were not letting me through. The supervisor had to come over to the guy checking me in, and the one checking me in told the supervisor ... 'It's not an exact match but I can't clear him.'. They wouldn't tell me what was going on, but obviously something was not good. So, I had some bad luck there. The supervisor then gave me the ok to enter the U.S.

"Matt Heramb then took DeWayne in his wheel chair. Coach Bartley was waiting for me to get through all of this but they told him he couldn't wait and to go down the escalator to the next customs check. I finally got through.

"We then all had to send all of our bags through screening again and pick them up at the regular baggage claim like everyone does in Atlanta. It took us the same amount of time to fly from Cancun to Atlanta (2 hours) as it did to get from our plane in Atlanta to our bus waiting for us outside the airport.

"As good as the trip was, it is good to be back. We arrived back in Auburn at 10:30 pm."



Buy Tickets

BUY YOUR TICKETS ONLINE! is your home for buying tickets to Auburn athletic events.

Auburn Store


Shop for your favorite summer items at the Auburn Tigers Official Online Store.

Tigers Unlimited, Join Today! Click for more information