July 7, 2011
* Auburn finished the year 29-29, 14-16 SEC and advanced to the SEC Tournament for a second straight season.
* Auburn finished in a three-way tie for second in the SEC West with Alabama and Mississippi State, marking the first time since 1976-78 that Auburn has finished in the top two in the division in consecutive seasons after winning the SEC West in 2010 with a 20-10 mark.
* Shortstop Casey McElroy was named First Team All-SEC after leading the team in seven offensive categories and finishing the regular season ranked in the top 10 in eight offensive categories in the SEC (Batting Avg. - .370 - 3rd; Slugging Pct. - .564 - 5th; Hits - 87 - 1st; RBI - 53 - T5th; Doubles - 18 - T8th; Home Runs - 9 - T5th; Total Bases - 132 - 4th; Sac Flies - 6 - T4th).
* Casey McElroy won the Auburn triple crown, leading the team in batting average (.372), RBI (53) and home runs (9) ... Since 1949, only 13 times has Auburn had a triple crown winner ... The previous triple crown winner was Hunter Morris in 2010.
* Derek Varnadore won the Auburn pitching triple crown, leading the team in wins (6), ERA (3.68) and strike outs (74) ... The last pitcher to lead Auburn in all three categories was Brent Schoening in 1999 ... Since 1949, Varnadore is the 18th Auburn pitcher to lead the staff in all three categories.
* Catcher Tony Caldwell was named Second Team All-SEC and was also tabbed a Coleman Company Johnny Bench Award semifinalist, one of 13 ... Caldwell led the SEC in runners caught stealing by with 23 while owning a .983 fielding percentage behind the plate ... He also led the team in on base percentage (.445) and walks (30), finished second on the team in batting average (.332), slugging percentage (.521) and RBI (44) and third in runs scored (37) and home runs (7).
* Auburn's berth in the 2011 SEC Tournament was its second straight, something it hadn't done since going for seven consecutive years from 1997-2003
* After going 0-2 at the SEC Tournament, Auburn is now 29-39 all-time at the tournament ... Auburn's all-time record at the tournament when it is played in Hoover is 9-17.
* Auburn played a combined 30 games against 10 teams that advanced to the NCAA Tournament, going 10-20.
* Auburn's 34 SEC wins over the last two seasons are the most over a two-year period for the program since it won 35 in 1999 (18) and 2000 (17), coach Hal Baird's final two seasons at Auburn ... The only other time Auburn has won 34-or-more SEC games in back-to-back years was in 1998 (16) and 1999 (18).
* Six players were chosen in the 2011 MLB Draft: Dan Gamache (Pittsburgh/6th Rd/No. 182); Casey McElroy (San Diego/11th Rd/ No. 353); Derek Varnadore (Florida/17th Rd/No. 523); Bradley Hendrix (Tampa Bay/22nd Rd/No. 690); Tony Caldwell (Florida/24th Rd/No. 733); Kevin Patterson (Toronto/30th Rd/No. 919) ... Additionally, Justin Fradejas signed a free agent contract with the Kansas City Royals.
Complete Season In Review
Follow Auburn Baseball on twitter at twitter.com/AUTigerBaseball